My Mum - pelvic exenteration, PLEASE there has to be another way... endometrial recurrence

paterik
New Contributor

My Mum - pelvic exenteration, PLEASE there has to be another way... endometrial recurrence

Hi. i've just found out today that my mum has had a recurrence of her stage IIIb (might have been IIIC) endometrial (uterine) cancer. the recurrence is in her vaginal vault. The surgeon has come right out and started talking about a pelvic exenteration - basically they remove everything in the region including the bladder and bowel which will be replaced with bags that my mum must learn to live with. This has floored me completely and i figure i am in shock and denial. i have been frantically searching for answers and have come here in the hope of finding anyone with similar experiences?? i cannot bear the thought of my mother living her life this way. she is the most selfless person and does not deserve this! Please someone tell me there is an alternative that i can investigate? My mum had an emergency hysterectomy last year, followed by 5 weeks of radiation and i believe 3 doses of brachytherapy. (first time poster, so apologies for any novice mistakes)
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: My Mum - pelvic exenteration, PLEASE there has to be ...

Hiya Paterik I am very sorry to hear about your mother. She is going to need a lot of support after she has gone through all of that as will you. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with uterine cancer and any other possible alternatives. Please remember that the cancer council do offer phone counselling and of course it is great to unload on this site also. I wish I could offer you more help and information. Julie
0 Kudos
paterik
New Contributor

Hi Julie, thanks for taking the time to reply. And thanks for the advise on support. When the time comes i'm sure i will need it and will seek it. For the moment, i guess i'm in denial and do not want to accept what they have suggested and will look for an alternative until they make it 'official' I am sorry to read about your struggles with cancer as well, and i hope your treatments have been going as good as they can? you have started the radiation this month apparently? My dad is also being treated for a lymphoma relapse which itself was quite a shock. This has only happened in the last month, and now we've been hit with the news about my mum - so not a great time for my family :( anyways, hopefully this site will help with this journey we've been forced on. thanks again... patrick
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Patrick You might find one of the american sites have some extra information. If you want a link I can send you one. Cheers Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.