My darling husbands diagnosis

CherylM
Occasional Contributor

My darling husbands diagnosis

Hi, my husband was diagnosed with bowel cancer and secondary liver cancer. It hit us pretty bad but we are going to do everything in our power to fight it. I have been googling everything about it. We won't know until Monday about his chemo so I can't google that yet. They have told us that he probably has five years. We are not going to dwell on that we are going to get his diet in top shape and fight till they find a new chemo that will totally fix him. He had the bowel op Wednesday gone but he can't have the liver op until the tumors shrink. They have give him 15-30% chance of that happening. I would love to hear from anyone that has or had the same diagnosis as him.
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: My darling husbands diagnosis

Hiya Welcome to the boards, although sorry to hear why you are here. I hope that your treatment all goes smoothly for your husband. Google, can be a great source of information but beware of some of it. The information you are getting may or may not be up to date. :) Julie
0 Kudos
CherylM
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Thanks for replying to my message. Not sure if this is how I reply back to you as I'm new to this. Yes I think my brain went into overload. I have a sister in San Fransico and her partner is a physiologist. They have been a great help as I was a bit down trying to find out all about things. Yesterday I didn't google at all and I feel great and I am going one day at a time now. Thanks Cheryl
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Cheryl You have done well, it worked!! :) Yw and I am glad to read that you are feeling better at the moment. It is a one day at a time thing in so many ways. Once you get on that treatment routine and have something a little more concrete to get stuck into, you will both start to feel a little better. Take care Julie
0 Kudos
CherylM
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Sorry I haven't been around for some time. We have been to quite a few more appointments. The last diagnosis was start chemo and we will look at things in three months. How are you going with all your things. It is getting a little easier to cope now. We have some sort of normality now. I have been giving my husband every vegetable there is. We have been drinking fresh veggie juices 3 times a day. He is also coping a little better now. Regards Cheryl
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Cheryl I am reading Jim Stynes book at the moment and one thing that he has written is, to cherish life and if you have cancer cherish it more. FOr me this means making the most of whatever time I will have. Good luck with the chemo it can sometimes get a bit tough but there are lots of things you can do to help and your cancer nurses are a great source of information. Of course the boards here can often be of help also. :) I hope you are both feeling better with your vege fix. I have been focussing lately on trying to eat more vegies and tossing up whether to plant some this summer. Only problem is I now have a lamb and it could be mission impossible re growing vegies. Take care Julie PS I am going fine, ty very much for asking !!
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Cheryl, I am a colon ca survivor. I was stage3c which means it was into six lymph nodes . Fortunately I had no mets to oyher organs .I had surgery and a year of chemotherapy. The chemo is more effective these days and they usually target the liver mets to shrink or eliminate some of them prior to surgery. The most common chemo is stuff called 5fu ,it's not too bad. They will probably add some of the patinum based drugs. They cause some problems with neuropathy so ask your oncologist if he can suggest any thing to minimise the side effects. Good luck with the treatment,Ron(nearly 15 yrs clear).
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

good luck with everything and be careful of internet stuff! i went into research mode for the first few months and was convinced i knew more from reading stuff on the net then the dr himself.. my partner unfourtnatly is dying from bowel cancer at 24 years old.. its been a very tiring journey and all i can say is look after yourself.. be kind to yourself and make sure you have time for just you... take care
0 Kudos
CherylM
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ron for your message. My husband start chemo on 24/10/12. Yesterday we went to a naturopath and she gave him some mixture to build up his white cells. We are also having a water system put in the house so that we can get the right ph balance for the water that we drink. There is so much preparation, but it is very, very worth it. You have done well to be clear for nearly 15 years. I can only pray that my husband has a fantastic result from all this. I will have to check up on your 5fu, not sure what that is. thanks again for your message. Regards Cheryl
0 Kudos
CherylM
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maddie, I am so sorry to hear of your partners bowel cancer. That is so sad. I haven't been on the internet as much as I was. I am just going with what we have found out about now and moving on. I wish you all the best for you and your partner and just hope that there maybe some light at the end of the tunnel for both of you. King regards Cheryl
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.