My mum with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and terminal

Keri
Occasional Contributor

Re: My mum with pancreatic cancer stage 4 and terminal

It's going on. Mums still in hospital. Now diagnosed with ascites and they put a permanent drain in. 

Although they have stopped chemo until her infections have gone. She has a choice of surgery if they still feel they can to remove abscesses off her liver or keep going with the injections. 

Mums decided not to have surgery as there's to much of a risk of it not working or it works but causes more damage to the liver and then they would give her 3 weeks. 

So mums sticking with the injections but as she can't have chemo they aren't sure how fast the cancer will grow and she could go at any time. 1 week, 2 weeks or still be around in 6 weeks. So no matter which way she goes here's a high risk. 

Mums quiet happy with this. Still going to England which is tomorrow. Which was quite a hard decision but it's what's best at this time. 

Glad to hear your mums doing good. What is the op for? I always find that when they don't have chemo they are much better. 

Hows your mum doing now? Op went ok? 

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

Mum is going ok, and i know what you mean about not having chemo.

Mum had a week off last week from chemo and what a difference it made, her op this friday is to put a Port in so they will use that to give her chemo, saves sticking needles in her arm.

All the best for your trip 😉

0 Kudos
Keri
Occasional Contributor

I'm back!! Lol

how is your mum doing? Hopefully she is well.

my nans doing ok, gone down hill but was so good to spend time with them and get away. Now I'm back and this will be the last time we seen the oncologist team. Today they said there's nothing more they can do. The cancer has spread all over mums body - hasn't had chemo for about 6 weeks. The 3 infections hasn't cleared and the antibiotics have stopped working and her jaundice has come back as the stent is blocked from the cancer growing. Thankfully mum was let out last week after 3.5 weeks in hospital. 

Now we need to organise hospice and the hospital which she will need to go to when that time comes. They've given a few weeks but I doubt it will be more than 3. Mums actually doing quite well considering she's facing death. 

How life is so unfair I think why did my mum have to have this aggressive cancer out of all the ones.  I don't want to loose my mum but Unfortunatly that's Her destiny. Going in to work tomorrow to sort out more time off so I can spend time with her while she's not a zombie from the morphine and even then be there till the end. We already discussed her funeral which was so strange. 

I can't believe its all "offical" that we will loose her shortly. I feel like I'm in a dream and just want to wake up but I can't seem to. 

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

Hi and welcome back, i've sent you a private message...

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

katy_BIMALOY12

katy

Unfortunately the bloating comes with pancreatic cancer,it comes also when ascites happens which is a build up of fluid in abdomen which is sometimes drained the chemo is mainly to help relieve pain and symptoms in the later stages of the disease,eventually chemo stops working,I still get bloating and fullness years after diagnosis there isn’t much in the way to relieve these symptoms  it also depends what stage your Mum is at as well.Sorry to read of her illness

kj

0 Kudos
me_mum
Contributor

Hi Katy

I know what you are going through having losing my mum to PC Nov last year.

KJ is right bloating is normal as ascites starts to develop. Mum did have her tummy drained twice and that did help with pain, but it wasn't long after that things went down hill and next thing we knew she was in pallative care.

It's all very sad to see but from my experience you need to be strong for your mum and be there with her as much as you can, it is hard on us too but we have time after to reflect. The last thing you don't want is any regrets, be with her and support her is the best thing you can do now. 

Once Chemo finished for mum she was home and we had nurses come home and make sure she was up to date with the latest meds etc...

I feel for you and your family having been through the same thing not so long ago.

Be strong for your Mum she needs you 😉

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.