Tonsil cancer

Jolly
Occasional Contributor

Tonsil cancer

Been diagnosed with secondary cancer in left neck lymph node. After scans a biopsy and PET, we believe the primary cancer is in my tonsils. Looking at robotic surgery to remove both tumours with a margin. The surgery has plenty of associated risks but if successful it would mean no or minimal radiation/chemo. Has anybody on this forum had this type of surgery? If so, any trouble post operation? Would appreciate any comments

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Tonsil cancer

Hi Jolly,

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

How are you feeling?

Have you had your surgery yet?

-sch

0 Kudos
Jolly
Occasional Contributor

Had my tonsils and neck tumour removed on the 25th Jan, been living on pain killers and baby food since then. Had a break through today and had a slice of roast lamb and a couple pieces of bread. Off to see surgeon tomorrow to discuss results and the plan forward from here, fingers crossed we got all the cancer

Arty72
New Contributor

Hi Jolly
How have you been going with your recovery? 5 weeks ago I was sat with the ENT surgeon and he didn't like the look of my enlarged tonsil. 4 weeks later I had my tonsil removed. I then (2 weeks later) I had a neck dissection to take away a lymph gland. I have been suffering from awful nerve pain and although no nerves were damaged (great news) I do have one side of my lip that will not move (hoping this comes good over time) this is effecting my speech slightly. Did you experience the same thing? unfortunately I now have to go back in to hospital next week to have the tonsil bed removed, was your removed? I have been told this is going to be worse than the tonsil removal pain wise. As I am still recovering from the neck dissection I am pretty worried about the pain of another operation. I chose the operation over radiation as I wanted to keep that up my sleeve. How long was your recovery, are you still experiencing after effects? Hope you are feeling fit and well 😊
0 Kudos
Jolly
Occasional Contributor

Gidday Arty, I am due my PET scan end of August to see how things went after Surgery and then precautionary radiation. I only had the one go under the knife where they took tonsils with margin and then the neck lymph node. The radiation was only on the neck as the margin  was clear in the mouth. Recovery from the tonsils took some time but I didn’t have any nerve damage there. The radiation has left me with a dry mouth as the saliva gland gets belted, I also for some reason have to equalise my ears everyday, something I never did before. I have nerve issues in my shoulder which I am working through with a physio., a side effect of the neck surgery.  Hang in there and do what you have to do. I like you went for the surgery, but hopefully the precautionary radiation has got any remnants, will soon find out. Hope you get through the next op OK and all goes well

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.