Unable to eat 16 days post-Whipple procedure - ideas?

KrisS
New Contributor

Unable to eat 16 days post-Whipple procedure - ideas?

Hi,

It's a worry when the doc asks the patient, 'Do you have any ideas?' My father had a Whipple procedure for pancreatic cancer over two weeks ago. He is still unable to digest food and therefore remains in the RBWH. They've said the digestive system just needs to 'wake up' from the traumatic surgery; however, my father is losing weight and strength every day.

Has anyone heard of what can trigger the digestive system into working again post-op? 

Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this.

Kris

6 REPLIES 6
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Unable to eat 16 days post-Whipple procedure - ideas?

KrisS

I presume that they have a feeding tube in for your father ,are they sure that there is not a problem after surgery and not just waiting for the digestive system to wake up I took between 7-10 days before eating ,I hope he can start eating soon,I couldn’t wait to get off the tube,when he does start food enquire about a stool softener for him ,good luck.

KrisS
New Contributor

Hi kJ,

Thanks so much for your reply. I’m sorry you had to go through the Whipple, I hope you’re doing ok now?

Yes, he has a feeding tube and they encourage him him to drink clear liquids, like broth, and then they syringe it from his stomach and measure it to see if anything is passing.

He’s had a post-op scan but it didn’t reveal anything to the surgeon, who is confident the surgery went well. We’ll just keep hoping and praying.

Kris

kj
Super Contributor

Hi Kris

All of our bodies react differently to a Whipple, I am fine now 10 year mark  in a few months ,complications can be expected from this surgery,

I Hope  his stomach responds quickly, 

BlueMoonshine
New Contributor

Very pleased to read your comment and the success of the Whipple.  Great news!

Might I ask the reason for the surgery?  Was your pancreas infected or was it cancer?    Did this show on a CT scan?  Was your Gastren high?  If so, did it go down after surgery?

My Elastase score is quite low.  It's at 24.  The Dr. has not addressed this with me other than to prescribe

Proton Pump Inhibitors which have helped with nausea.  Nothing showed on the CT scan and I am awaiting results of biopsies taken from stomach and small intestines.  Gastroenterologist did not see anything unusual during Endoscopy. 

I am a Diabetic, and the Dr. says she in unsure whether I have Pernicious Anemia because there is no sign that I am Anemic however my Folate test was positive. 

What caused you to lose your Pancreas?  Have you become Diabetic type 1?  Do you feel back to normal?  Was your elastace low prior to surgery?

Was the Whipple hard on you?

I apologize for so many questions but I am a curious gal. 

Thanks for your comment and time.

My Gastren level is at 1204 which is quite high. 

0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi BlueMoonshine

I had Whipple surgery for pancreatic cancer,yes it showed on ultrasound and a CT I  am on a proton pump inhibitor,with Pancreatic Cancer there is a tumor marker on bloods they do CA19.9,They took part of my pancreas it was cancerous,I haven’t yet become Diabetic very fortunate,my body has a new normal after a Whipple ,it was a hard Surgery ,but I am alive so I can’t complain ,many others don’t get the opportunity of a Whipple unfortunately,I hope things go ok for you,nothing wrong with asking questions.

I looked your Gastren levels are  quite high,hopefully after all the testing they will be able to give you a diagnosis.

KrisS
New Contributor

Hi BlueMoonshine,
My father had surgery because of pancreatic cancer. I'm sorry I can't help you with your questions, he passed away 3 months post-op.
I wish you all the best with your recovery.
Kris
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.