My Cancer Journey
It can silence courage; however you find a courage you never knew you had
It will cripple your love and self esteem
It will eat away at your thoughts; keep the monsters at bay
Cancer is limited to only you, it’s your journey
It can kill friendships and the ones it does;
You were not meant to keep
You will acquire new friendships along your journey

Other people’s cancer stories, friends just love relaying them to you, hold your hand up STOP!
I really don’t want to hear: be strong this is your journey!
It can corrode your faith and leave you wondering what’s it all about?
It can destroy your confidence, leave you feeling unloved, betrayed by your own body
It will leave you sad and sick with worry

This is your journey: your story, don’t be afraid to be you again, life is precious; this is your time don’t waste it on people who want to bring you down, plan your life with lots of things you want to do, family time, holiday time, time to yourself, to be just you, we are worth it!
This is our time so……
Put a smile on your face your lipstick on and into the world we go 

Chris Hayward 2013-14

2 REPLIES 2
Trishjam1
New Contributor

Re: My Cancer Journey Poem

Chris , your poem  so rang true for me ...your words are brilliant ! . We are each on our own journey , no two cancers are the same , we each deal with the treatment and setbacks differently .... we try and stay positive and some days we kick goals and other days we just get through the day and that’s okay too ! 

So thank you for reminding us that this is ‘our’ journey and yes the ‘lippy’ goes on every day ! 

Marcus
Occasional Contributor

Re: My Cancer Journey Poem

Hi Chris. 
love your work 

I feel each persons Cancer journey is a unique story

be it the feelings you have emotionally or physically from the side affects from the treatment 

i also feel that there is a connectedness with others who have also had Cancer just through the fact that they have or have had Cancer also. 
I swing both ways on that 
It gives you strength you maybe never knew you had to fight a Battle you never thought in a million years you would have to fight. 
💜💜

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.