How to ask about life expectancy

vatbub

How to ask about life expectancy

Hello guys,

I know that I am asking about a difficult topic and I thus figured that it would be the best thing to ask people who are directly concerned by cancer.

Background: I am designing a role-play based on the book "The Fault in Our Stars" by "John Green" which is about a young girl with lung cancer. In that book, she asks another patient, who is still going to school, about his life expectancy by asking him whether he still goes to school. According to her, that seems to be the politest way to ask about life expectancy, because children with low life expectancy tend to be taken out of school by their parents.

In the role-play, I want to give the player the choice to ask the question in a very polite but also in a very rude way. The other person's reaction will depend on the player's choice.

I am therefore asking:

- What is, in your opinion, the politest way to ask about someones life expectancy?

- What is the most rude way to ask about life expectancy in your opinion and how would it make you feel if someone asked you like that?

Again, I know that this isn't an easy topic and I am therefore very thankful for your answers.

Cheers,

vatbub

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: How to ask about life expectancy

Hi @vatbub,

This is probably not the appropriate place to be asking such things, as we're here to support people affected by cancer. Everyone's experiences are different.

However, the following resources may be of help to you:

All the best,

Kate

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

"What is your prognosis ?"

Be courteous, respectful, listen actively, and if they show signs of clear discomfort, cease the line of questioning.

0 Kudos
CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Rude version:   how long do I have to wait for you to die ?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.