Music therapy

sch
Super Contributor

Music therapy

I was reading the abc online earlier and I was reading this article.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-19/music-therapy-program-brings-joy-to-the-dying/11976120

It's not something that I'm aware of others using.

So I thought I'd bring this up as a topic of conversation.

Is this something you would consider?

Is this something that helped?

What sort of music was best?

What are your thoughts on it?

-s

15 REPLIES 15
Mel2
New Contributor

Re: Music therapy

This is slightly relevant to the topic, my Dad has Grade 4 GBM and has been becoming quite anxious and aggressive.  I found that when I played him some 60's music he started singing along and seemed to become 'lost' in the music so I definitely think it can help some people.

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Mel2,

I think that is perfectly relevant. The music that you played for him, was this music that he used to listen to when he was younger or was it just the music he was enjoying?

Getting lost in the music sounds quite pleasant.

How long did he spending listening to the music?

Oh, and what was his choice in music??

-s

Mel2
New Contributor

Yes, it was music that he listened to when he was younger - it was a 60's alternative music spotify playlist.  Unfortunately his disease has affected his speech so he isn't actually able to tell us what he wants so I chose the music knowing it was what he used to like.  I played it maybe for an hour or so.

Budgie
Super Contributor

I think this is a fabulous thing.  I'm sure I will enjoy listening to music when I'm in that situation.  I've heard that music is beneficial for Alzheimer's sufferers as well.  A lot of the time they can become more lucid when they hear music from their past.

Music & art therapy are wonderful ways to aid the soul.

MyheroCoolSpy
Frequent Contributor

I agree with you. Music and meditation really help.
Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

I read the article with great interest Sch. Music can be so comforting in times of grief & stress. I personally play my wife’s favourite music, when I feel worried, lonely and scared. I often can’t sleep & the music my wife loved makes me feel her closeness to me. That in turn brightens my spirit.

I think music could be of benefit to many, it certainly can’t hurt can it.

Lindsay

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi

I moved in to a flat with a music therapist after my marriage fell apart, about 20 years ago. Needless to say, I faced a lot of depression and tough times and my flat mate thought she could help me by using music therapy, by teaching me how to use my guitar to help express my emotions through music. She was quite disgusted to find out there was nothing she could teach me.  It came naturally.

What was interesting, she had travelled to Bosnia to help children traumatized by war and she work a lot with autistic children. She explained how children who were emotionally shut down, could be reached through music. It has an amazing power on our minds. I would be lost without music in my life.

When I visit my Mum, she has Alzheimer's, I put on the Andrew Sisters for her and she loves it. 

I can't say how music would help someone at the end of life, but as for life in general, it is essential. And it's not enough to just listen to it. I need to play, sing, compose and live it

My 2 cents...

cheers

Portly Phil

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Phil,

I'm the same, I really need music in my life. I don't have an ounce of musical talent in my body though.

I listen to all sorts of music; grind core, classical, trance, experimental electronic, you name it.

It's funny the way that if you listen to a song from your past that you haven't listened to in a while, and it instantly transports you back in time. You can almost see and smell what was happening at the time.

-s

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

I agree. Music has been a saviour to me in this big empty house more than once.

Like Sch, no musical talent, just appreciation.......Lindsay

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.