Terminal cancer diagnosis

AndrewB
Occasional Contributor

Terminal cancer diagnosis

Hi there, I have liver cancer. After surgery I was informed that my cancer cannot be cured. I'm wondering if there are other people in a similar situation to converse with to discuss what they have done with planning for the future. Andrew
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Terminal cancer diagnosis

Hi Andrew So sorry to read of your prognosis. This is a tough one that I think about from time to time. Not sure I have ever concluded much, which is not helpful to you.
0 Kudos
Anna1983
Occasional Contributor

Hey Andrew im anna and I have terminal brain cancer at 30, found out 16 months ago and I have just finished treatment. I'd love to chat to you
0 Kudos
AndrewB
Occasional Contributor

Hi Anna Lovely to chat with you. Sorry to hear of your illness. I'm 50 years old with two great children. The eldest is 25, the youngest is 13. The hardest thing so far was to tell my family of my longevity. I've been told the average life expentency is approx 2.5 years. It's been hard to address the situation of finalising my will. I'll get to it, but it's hard. I'm having weekly chemo to scare off bad stuff to hopefully extend the lifespan. Hope this is a good start for a chat. Regards Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewB
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jules2 Thanks for your reply to my post. I think it's hard to conclude very much, I agree. Regards Andrew
0 Kudos
Emilyk
New Contributor

Hi Andrew. My mother has been diagnosed with terminal liver cancer. Her primary cancer was in her colon. She has just commenced chemo but is in a lot of pain at present. Are you currently doing chemo?
0 Kudos
Jodii
Occasional Contributor

Hi Andrew so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My hubby is 51 and has been given the incurable and inoperable diagnosis to - and we will manage symptoms as they arise to keep you as comfortable as we can ....... (until the end is what they don't say!) It has been devastating for us and we continue to put one foot in front of the other and live the 'new normal' as hubby puts it that we have been dealt. Initially we were in a daze and walked around for days and weeks trying to come to terms with it however I'm not sure we've fully come to terms with it but we are managing to live life a little more normally now and try and talk about things a lot more and make the most of each day and every birthday and anniversary and time that we have as we never know when it will be our last. This probably isn't much consolaton to you however at least know there are others in similar situations and you are not alone......
0 Kudos
AndrewB
Occasional Contributor

Hi Emily Sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis. That's exactly the same as me. The chemo killed off the tumour in the colon (sigmoid region) but the liver tumour remains. I'm on maintenance chemo which means chemo til end of life. The chemo drugs are Irinotecan, Cetuximab and Folfiri. The pain might be a good sign, I was told my pain could be responsible for the tumour reducing in size. Hope this helps Andrew
0 Kudos
AndrewB
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jodii Sorry to hear of your husbands outlook. Yes, there's plenty of being in a daze from a diagnosis like yours and mine. Thanks for the post and all the best with everyday. Kind regards Andrew
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.