Grieving, loss of memory, triggered by death

Gratitude64

Grieving, loss of memory, triggered by death

In 2016, my mother passed away at 62, peacefully in palliative care at home. 

I was 21 at the time. Partying, coping in my own way, I distanced myself from the suffering, my other family members with experience and nursing, religion and care that was overwhelming, I couldn't connect with the new religion, I felt pushed out 

I felt like there was nothing I could do. No one prepared me for what was happening and I didn't receive counselling. I wasn't able to process what was happening, it all happened so fast over four years of her fighting. The family that was around accused me of doing nothing out of spite, it was horrible and we do not speak anymore ...  

I felt like I didn't have the chance to tell her how I felt, ask her questions or get to know her better. I still haven't visited her grave. 

When I try to reflect on the past it all seems like a blur. All that fills my thoughts is the pain and suffering she endured, the ambulances, the car that took her away in a body bag, the constant hospital visits, the distance I felt. 

Now my dad is getting older and slowing down considerably. All he seems so talk about is his will and how he is in pain it is incredibly triggering. I don't know if I am ready to face this again. 

I'm really feeling alone and leaning on family seems impossible. 

Unsure if I can get counselling about an issue I have very little memory about. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Grieving, loss of memory, triggered by death

Hello Gratitude64,

Please call our Support and Services number on 131120, to find out how we can best help you.

Kind regards

Susana

Online Community

0 Kudos
Liza11
New Contributor

Re: Grieving, loss of memory, triggered by death

I lost my sad around 9 months ago. My mother and I are definitely still in the denial phase. We have both noticed poor memory signs. It’s only recently I’ve discovered this can be caused by grief. Im sorry for your loss and at the same time it’s nice to know that we are not the only ones who are having problems with memory loss. Mum and I are both having problems with our short term memory and I my self can say, my sense of time also. I still feel like dad is out and he will be home soon or that he is in his room still, it’s so strange
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.