Lost my brother and almost my dad too

luckysixteen

Lost my brother and almost my dad too

My eldest brother was diagnosed late 2019, and passed mid 2020. It still doesn’t feel real and I don’t think it ever will. 

My family was unable to hold a funeral for him as this was during covid. 
Our family has never been the same since this happened, and every year it seems to get worse. 

My dad was diagnosed just late last year, and despite going through all his rounds of chemo already, he still has years of other treatment ahead of him. 

It seems I have just lost him more than I already did. 

Although it seems very likely my dad will survive this, I can tell we are all thinking of the negatives due to my brother. 

And this is where I feel extremely selfish. 

I am absolutely terrified I also have cancer despite no serious symptoms that can be linked to it. 

The kind my dad has is genetic and is 50/50 that I will have it. 

I can’t get the thought out of my head that even if it is not the kind my dad has, I have another. 

I am so scared I am going to die as well. I am only 18. 

I can’t bring this up with my family as it will upset them, and I hav emo evidence to support this. 

I am so stuck on what to do. 

2 REPLIES 2
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Lost my brother and almost my dad too

Hi Luckysixteen, so sorry about your situation. All I can suggest is that you talk to your GP about your concerns for your health. You will probably just have to have more check ups during your life for cancer. At least they can put your mind at rest hopefully. Also talk to the Cancer Council if you need to. 🙏💕 Linda G

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Re: Lost my brother and almost my dad too

Definitely go and see a doctor and have your fears either confirmed or denied.  Worrying about having cancer is terribly debilitating.  You are 18 and have the best of life still to come.  You have a 50% chance of not carrying the gene.  Always try to find the positive because negativity will kill you.  Ask to have genetic testing done to be sure either way.  If you find out that you're safe, party, travel, love, find your purpose in life and live a full life in honour of your brother and your father.  

I wish you well and hope you can find the courage to approach this head on and get the answers you need.

Good luck. x

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.