What to do after Mums funeral

Erica55

What to do after Mums funeral

My mum was diagnosed with metastatic lung cancer on the 4th of January 2024. They gave her a prognosis of 6-24 months. She got 2 months and 1 day. The past 2 and half months have been such a blur and it’s felt like 7. 2 days ago we had the funeral and now that I’m home, that I don’t have to put on a brave face for anyone, that I’m not running on adrenaline keeping myself consumed with planning my mums funeral, I feel so fucking lost and broken and drained. Losing your mum is hard but coping with the funeral being over is so much worse. 

2 REPLIES 2
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: What to do after Mums funeral

Hi Erica55, I can understand your feelings and it’s just a part of the start of the grieving process. Plus you would be physically and emotionally exhausted. You need to recover and it will take time. When my beautiful mum died it was so difficult. And yes, the funeral is the last thing you do for your mum and then you fall in a heap😢.  It’s now 3 years ago and I’m feeling better but still miss her every day. I hope you have people around you that you can be real with and will support you through this time. Sending you love and prayers 🙏💕. Linda 

Susana_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: What to do after Mums funeral

Hello Erica55,

I am very sorry to hear about your mum's passing, it is never easy saying goodbye to a loved one specially mum as they provide us with a special attachment and sense of safety.

There is not much we can say to help you feel a little bit better, just allow yourself to feel whatever you need to feel, (Sad, angry, happy, hopeful) without feeling any sort of guilt.

if you are an Australian resident  I would like to suggest calling 131120 number if you need to talk to someone or find more information about some of our services.

Sending you a virtual hugh

Warm regards

Susana

Cancer Council

Online Community

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.