Not doing so well.

Justine
New Contributor

Not doing so well.

Hi all

Im 44 yrs old and last year i lost my husband to cancer. We have a 21 yr old and 17 year old. I have no family near to me and hubbies family are not supportive.

A year on and i find its gotten harder to cope with the sadness and harder to be a good mum to my kids who also struggle. They dont talk about thier struggle and i do, making me feel like a crazy person and needy... i feel overwhelmed some days which is damaging for my poor kids.  

Have seen a psychologist to get some help but the grief and struggle never quiet goes away. How do you find hope again when cancer takes it all away. 

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Not doing so well.

Hi Justine, I'm so sorry you're going through this.   You're very close to my age, and I can't imagine how hard it must be to have lost your husband.  I think it's good that you can talk about your struggle- if you didn't you'd just explode. 

It's possible that the cancer council would be able to link you in with some practical help (eg. someone to get your groceries or clean the house a bit, stuff like that- I'm not certain, but they seem to be a  good place to start).  If you can get a bit of assistance with practial stuff it might make things a bit easier.  And keep venting here!  We're all here to cheer each other on when things get tough.  All good wishes to you, love and hugs, Emily

0 Kudos
Justine
New Contributor

Re: Not doing so well.

Thanks Emily... i really appreciate the support .
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.