Young Widow

KDona
New Contributor

Young Widow

My husband has recently passed from stage 4 stomach cancer. He was diagnosed on the 5th of August 14 and passed on the 22nd of March 15. We have near 4 year old twins. I am still in the phase of not being able to believe he is gone. It's funny how we have experience our fair share of challenges over the time we had together, but they are nothing compared to this. I have never experienced this level of pain, its undescribable. Are there any other widows out there?!? Does anyone recommend any other support groups or is this the best forum? I live in NW Qld, so there are limited support groups out there. I have a therapist out there, however I am still in Brisbane, not ready to return to our home without him.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Young Widow

Hi KDona, I'm so sorry to hear of your situation, and my heart goes out to you. I feel very thankful that I escaped widowhood when I was 35 (my husband was diagnosed with stage 4 non-Hodgkin's lymphoma a few years ago, aged 39, and thankfully is doing well so far) We became members of The Warwick Cancer Foundation (www.twcf.org.au), which is a group set up to support people with cancer aged 25-40ish. They don't have a whole heap of support for partners (it's quite a small organisation, although it is nation-wide), but they may be able to give you some ideas or contacts. I have found support for young to middle aged adults is fairly thin on the ground. Meanwhile, keep posting here! Sending warm hugs, Emily
0 Kudos
KDona
New Contributor

Re: Young Widow

Thanks for your suggestion Emily, will check it out.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.