Anal cancer

DF
New Contributor

Anal cancer

I am 40 years old and diagnosed with  anal cancer  two weeks ago.  Four days ago I had the tumour removed and once this heals I have to  have chemo and radiation (6 weeks).  Is there anyone out there that can give me some idea of what I should expect? Any tips and hints?  I have been told I am stage 2 but then the oncologist mentioned there was an enlarged node right next to the tumour so I am unsure if this changes the staging to iii ? Any help would be appreciated.  DF

6 REPLIES 6
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Anal cancer

Hi DF,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed.

As far as differentiating between stage 2 vs stage 3, I think that is largely up to the oncologist. I think that the best option is simply to ask your surgeon and oncologist if the enlarged lymph node could be caused by the cancer having spread to the node.

But yes, if this was the case, I think this would change the staging.

-sch

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi DF,

I'm really sorry that this has happened to you.  Must be terribly painful and difficult to heal.  I advise everyone to get onto olive leaf tablet daily.  It will help your immune system fight the battle of your life.  Lots of juices.  Especially watermelon juice to cleanse the toxins out of your body.  Radiation builds up so you need to be vigilant.  Ginger chopped up.  Pour boiling water over to and let it marinate overnight.  Strain and use as your drinking water.     Will help to balance out all your emotions, great body help and good for preventing nausea and vomiting.    Make lots of soups as you will need excellent nutrition even when you have no appetite or taste buds.  I will post a picture of a great book for you when I can.

I wish you great success in getting through this.  Let us know how you are going as it helps to talk to people who are on the same journey as you.  Good luck. x

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

There are actually two really good books.  Healing foods I've used for many years and the second one is great for extra boosted nutrition during treatment.  Hope they help you.

71063852_10218446818135877_4904126785379106816_n.jpg72436176_10218448159329406_6054088555007836160_n-1.jpg

Maree13
New Contributor

The diagnosis really sucks doesn't it

I was diagnosed with rectal cancer May 13th...since then I have been through radiation and surgery (with a ileostomy) where they found cancer in my lymph nodes and a spot in my lung. I was put at at stage 4 but until they know what it is in my lung I have been classed as a stage 3B. 

I went into hospital last Tuesday to have a porta cath put in and my first dose of chemo. Was suppose to be only in overnight but had a heart attack that night. Subsequently they stopped my chemo. I am due to go back to hospital next week so they can do my second dose of chemo and keep an eye on me.

What exactly do you need to know and I will answer if I can. Its all different for everyone but it helps to know what to look out for. 

I have learnt so much over the last 5 months in all areas.

Best thing you can do is stay positive!!!!!!!!!

DF
New Contributor

Hi Maree13, thanks for replying.  Can I ask was the heart attack a result of the chemo or just a bad coincidence?  

How is your treatment so far?  I start chemo & radiation on the 28th October.  I already have lupus and I’m concerned that if there is some weird side effect I am likely to get it! 

DF

Maree13
New Contributor

Hi DF

The heart attack was from the chemo...….I had tests to rule out a blockage.

I start my treatment back up on October 22nd hopefully.....in hospital so they can keep an eye on me.

I am also going to try and chew ice chips during treatment as apparently it desensitises you from the cold side effect.....heres hoping!!!

Ive had enough at the moment....just found out I also have a fistula which needs to be fixed after chemo but before the stoma reversal.

*sigh*…..I never realised I ran a chinaman over hmmm lol

Stay positive

Maree

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.