Breast Cancer and chemo

Sue67
New Contributor

Breast Cancer and chemo

Hello everyone, 

I've recently been diagnosed with breast cancer, early stages only and all cut out (2 surgeries, lumpectomy) with nothing moved to lymph node. However, due to type of cancer the medico's are telling me I need chemo plus radio plus pill.  I wanted to post here to hear anyone's views about looking at alternative treatment rather than the chemo? It's just such an invasive procedure, and, in my case, its for risk prevention so I'm wondering if others would look at an alternative before embarking on putting poison into every single cell in their body?

Would love to hear your comments, happy to receive criticism as well!

Cheers

Sue

6 REPLIES 6
Sue67
New Contributor

Re: Breast Cancer and chemo

Hi, it's Sue again, I just wanted to add to my previous post that it'd be great to hear from anyone who HAS tried alternative treatments and what happened? Thanks so much, Sue

sch
Super Contributor

Hi @Sue67 

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis with breast cancer.

In all the time (years) that I've been frequenting the Cancer Council online community, I only occasionally hear someone asking about alternative treatments.

Usually the cancer council will refer to them as complementary therapies, that complement evidenced based medical treatment. https://www.cancer.org.au/cancer-information/treatment/complementary-therapies

If you are going to consider taking of any other medication it is extremely important that you make your treatment team/doctors aware of what you are taking.

All the best,

s

0 Kudos
Sue67
New Contributor

Hello, I"ve emailed you, cheers, Sue

0 Kudos
tessg
Occasional Contributor

Spoiler
I was diagnosed with breast cancer a week ago - needing lumpectomy, lymph node removal and was told radiotherapy around site and then a 7 year chemotherapy tablet 1 each day... the nodes may be clear but my understanding is if the tumour is spiculated, it can still travel via the bloodstream and settle in other parts of the body.  I don't like the thought of it but those little mutated cells can travel and the chemo is targeted to kill them - did they say IV chemo or tablets to you?

tessg
Occasional Contributor

I'm not being in the least critical at all as we all have to do what we think is best for us...Id be interested in hearing about alternative therapies too!  Can a certain diet help?

0 Kudos
Lovedogs77
Occasional Contributor

Hi, 

I was diagnosed in Dec 2023. I had a lumpectomy and SLNB on Feb 28 and the lymph nodes were clear.  The treatment they recommended for me was radiation to the site (not the whole breast) and an aromatase inhibitor (daily pill) for 5 yrs.  Wishing you the best and hope you are feeling ok. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.