Diagnosed bone cancer

Lindsay34
New Contributor

Diagnosed bone cancer

I was diagnosed with bone cancer last week I’ve had a ct scan and have a bone scan on Tuesday I’m so scared as I know bone cancer is rare and is mainly secondary which worries me more I’ve been quite poorly feeling unwell in pain feeling sick and very thirsty also urinating a lot was concerned of hypoglycaemia but doctor said calcium levels are fine , this worries me as they say all my bloods are fine and missed my cancer for 8 weeks I feel I have no faith

3 REPLIES 3
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Diagnosed bone cancer

Hi @Lindsay34,

I'm sorry to hear you have bone cancer as it can be very painful. I have quite a few tumours in my bones, but they're deposits from kidney cancer. Radiation has stopped all of the pain for my bone mets.
Have you been tested for diabetes? The drinking & urinating alot can be a symptom. One of my grandkids has Type1 Diabetes & it is very tiring for everyone in the family.
If you're not happy with GP's findings you are well advised to seek a second opinion.

Good luck with everything.

Budgie
Lindsay34
New Contributor

Hi no I’ve not been checked for diabetes not had it in the past can you get diabetes from having cancer, I’m just so confused , I’m so scared it secondary and so scared of it being in my lungs , I have been experiencing lower back pain but not sure of it my kidneys or not , I feel so lost and confused,  I hope you’re ok well ok as can be just hope they can get the ball rolling for my treatment to start as I feel it’s spreading round my body 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi @Lindsay34,

First of all Lindsay34, I'm fine, thank you very much for your concern 🙂.
No you can't get diabetes from cancer. Try not to feel so anxious about it all.
I think you would benefit from speaking with a counsellor, to try and ease your fears a bit. The Cancer Council has a number you can call to speak with someone. This number 131120 is free & confidential, & can give you information & guidance on what you can do. You can also access a social worker through your palliative team, or a referral from your Oncologist/GP.
(Just as a side note, alot of people think palliative care is only for old people who are about to die, but they're not. Palliative nurses are there to help control your pain levels throughout your treatment. They can also give you guidance on avenues to take such as dietary, social workers, physiotherapist, etc. So please keep that in mind).

You could also speak with your religious leader, if you have one, or call Lifeline. So there are plenty of options for you to speak with someone. Don't forget you can always download here on this site, as there's always someone listening who would probably be able to help in some way.
Don't forget that you can always seek a second opinion, from a different GP or a different Oncologist. You are entitled to see someone who you feel comfortable with & if you think the people you are seeing aren't giving you all the answers you need, then feel free to ask to see someone else, or get your GP to write a referral to a different Oncologist.

Lastly, please don't worry so much. It only makes thinks worse if you stress about things. Tell your doctor your fears, and if he/she is any good, they will listen to you & try to put your mind at rest.

Cheers

Budgie
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.