Diagnosed with Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer

myke49
New Contributor

Diagnosed with Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer

I have Bladder cancer Stage 2 Muscle Invasive.  I will be 74 years old on March 17.  Had blood in urine day after Thanksgiving.  Went to Urgent care and then my primary who order cystoscopy.  Cystoscopy found a tumor blocking left ureter.  TURBT was ordered and found an aggressive muscle invasive tumor with possible spreading.  Catscan showed no spreading but because it is still possible  I am now scheduled for 4 rounds of Cisplatin and Gemcitabine 2 infusions in each round for a total of 8 sessions at 5 hours each.  Then rest for a month before Radical Cystectomy with ileal conduit.

Trying to take it one day at a time.  Chemo is only 3 days away and I've read all the horror stories about Cisplatin.  Any help on dealing with chemo side effects would be helpful at this time.  I understand water, water, water, eat small snacks at first and build up and exercise when you can.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you and God bless.

5 REPLIES 5
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Diagnosed with Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer

Hi Myke49, so sorry about your diagnosis. You would have started treatment now. I had a different cancer to you so a different chemo treatment. Just want to send you love and prayers. Once I started treatment my anxiety wasn’t so extreme. I was blessed to have my husband to look after me. Hope you have lots of love and support around you. I got through it and it was tough, but it’s been worth it as the cancer was got rid of. 🙏💕 Linda G

0 Kudos
myke49
New Contributor

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response.  Sorry about my late reply.  Since March I've had 3 rounds of chemo 2 injections each time for a total of 6.  Last one was 4/19.  Most lasting symptom seems to be leg pain but it is slowly fading.  I've also met my surgeon Dr Kim and will have surgery some time after June 2, our 50 year anniversary.  I'll be going with the ileal conduit and robotic surgery.  I'm with Kaiser and so far I have no complaints about the treatment.  I like my surgeon and he seems to be a good mix of business, compassion and just being human.  Thanks again for you kind words.

Mike

Jennifer66
Contributor

Hi Myke49

Hope all going well and you are well, I have bladder cancer and like you left ureter and five tumours although not muscle invasive I am high grade which I had a stent in to keep it open, unfortunately I have not come across any female bladder cancer patients on here, I have had 12 rounds of BCG  immunotherapy treatments and five cystoscopy since December, my only options is major bladder removal surgery which I will not be considering and chemo which will have no side effects as directly into bladder, which is my is suitable will start soon,  I am well my only effect is I tire each afternoon 

wishing you all the best with your recovery 

0 Kudos
myke49
New Contributor

Thanks for the message Jennifer.  I had my radical cystectomy on June 16 so I am 4 month post surgery and doing well.  6 hour surgery, 7 days in the hospital and then home for recovery.  It all takes time.  I developed an infection after surgery and went back in for one night.  They filled me with antibiotics and so everything is pretty good now.  Got my ileostomy bag and all my stuff and getting used to the new routines.

You sound like you're on the right track and I'm hoping you succeed without surgery.  This cancer thing is a shocker for sure but many get past it these days.  God bless us all.  Good luck with your treatment.  Hoping all goes well.   -  Mike

Jennifer66
Contributor

Thanks Myke49

for reply, good to hear your going well, my doctor would prefer me to have surgery, however not an option I want, so only other option, chemo which I will do, major concern is right ureter will start to close, I only had stent out in September but if it means a stent again happy to go with it.

good luck going forward 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.