Does anyone get the feeling that oncologists are simply winging it?

kanterl
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone get the feeling that oncologists are simply winging it?

When I was diagnosed with head-neck cancer it seemed as if my oncologist was stabbing in the dark. Anyone else have that feeling?

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Paul71
Occasional Contributor

Re: Does anyone get the feeling that oncologists are simply winging it?

I definitely  get that feeling. 

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

If you speak with enough conviction and authority, people will believe (almost) anything. 

WARNING: Don’t read this if you are looking for positive and heartwarming thoughts…

Of course they are winging it. They don’t know why some people get cancer and others don’t; why cancer sometimes spreads and sometimes doesn’t; why some cancers in some people respond to some cytotoxins while not for others with the same cancer. 

I wish that I had a dollar for each time a medical professional has told me “everyone is different “. What a cop-out!

If they REALLY knew what they were doing they would get it right the first time. 

And don’t get me started on surgeons. To them, everything can be fixed with a knife - including the extensioins  to their 3rd holiday home.  My surgeon doesn’t even bother to read up on my case notes before seeing me - I have to remind him about what procedure he performed on me. 

Please take all of my words here with a grain of salt. I’m sure that they all do the best that they can with the resources (time and information) available to them. 

Rant over - hugs to you all. 
Rick

0 Kudos
kanterl
Occasional Contributor

Rick, well said. I think many patients feel that way but they're afraid to express themselves. The fact that your doctor doesn't read your file prior to visiting with you borders on malpractice.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.