First Chemo session

Highlighted
New Contributor

First Chemo session

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in October. I had my first chemo session a week ago. Does the tired feeling go away and does it get harder after each  session? 
I was so positive before my first treatment, but I never expected to feel so drained and tired.  What do you do to help manage side effects besides medications prescribed by oncologist ?
Thanking you for any advice. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: First Chemo session

Hi @Eddie77,

Sorry to hear you have cancer. Do you know what stage you're at? The tiredness will stay with you while you're on chemo, & possibly after.
The best thing to combat fatigue/tiredness is exercise. Take it easily if you're really tired, & gradually work up to doing a good amount for you - at least ½ an hour a day if you can. Another thing is to only do what you need to do to try & conserve your energy.

All the best

Budgie

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hello Budgie,

thank you for your reply and tips. I have grade 3 hormone receptive breast cancer.  I had a full hysterectomy just over 3 weeks ago.  I’m doing chemo first. And however I respond to chemo will determine what surgery I will have.  I was so fit and energetic before diagnosis and am overwhelmed how all of a sudden the energy has been zapped from me. 
thank you so much for your advise. It is greatly appreciated. 

Highlighted
Super Contributor

I wish you well with your treatment, whatever it involves. Your fitness may take a long time to come back, may not reach your pre-cancer level for ages, but don't give up. 😉

Budgie
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.