Found secondary cancer first, now looking for the "villain" who started it all...

Dee58
Contributor

Found secondary cancer first, now looking for the "villain" who started it all...

Hi. I have just been diagnosed with cancer.  Secondary cancer cells found in my lymph node (neck), so tomorrow I have a PET scan to find the "primary" cancer which so far has been in hiding apparently - I've had ultrasounds, CT scan and 2 biopsies. 

My husband died of cancer 5-6 years ago. I don't have family and I live alone. My daughter, my only surviving child, is on the east coast attending Uni and doesn't know.  I won't tell her unless I absolutely have no choice.  She relies on me financially because obviously she can't work full time.  My boss has kindly let me work from home to help me - because where I work is an hour drive each way.  I have to beat this for my sake, my daughter's sake (when I go she'll have no one),  and because I have pets to care for too.   I've told one close friend and my estranged brother who is older, lives a long way from me and we aren't really close.

I am trying to be confident and brave like we all are... cancer really is a very personal journey, isn't it!  Anyhow that's why I joined the forum here... I may need someone to talk to at some stage... 

I'll tell you later though about my awesome dream!

5 REPLIES 5
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Found secondary cancer first, now looking for the "villain" who started it all...

Welcome @Dee58, to this great site. I say it's a great site because there are some very kind, caring people on here.
I read your dream post & thought it was fabulous, & I love your attitude. Attitude will take you a long way, as I think it is everything in helping you to have a longer life. Anyway, I wish you luck in finding the primary vampire & driving a big stake thru its heart.

Budgie
Dee58
Contributor

Re: Found secondary cancer first, now looking for the "villain" who started it all...

Thank you, you're very kind!   Whenever I start to feel a worry or a what-if or anything remotely negative, I immediately remember my dream and I'm okay again.  I am so blessed to have had that dream! 

Loracdraw
Occasional Contributor

Hi, I have just joined too and also have a daughter who is at uni and 25.     I've just been diagnosed with melanoma cancer stage 3 and have had my lymph nodes out of my neck.   Starting radiation treatment soon and also will need some one to vent to! So feel free to chat to me, I'm in Adelaide, SA

Dee58
Contributor

HI... I'm in Western Australia, an hour south of Perth.  I have to have chemo and radiation therapy too... not looking forward to it but the surgical alternative is the stuff of nightmares so I'm actually feeling relieved that we are going to try chemo and radiation first...  happy to share "vents" with you!  And for what its worth, sending brilliant vibes and prayers your way as well... xx

0 Kudos
OzStu
Contributor

Hi Dee

Don't count on them finding the primary.  I had lumps in my neck went through all the waste of time tests like xrays ultra sounds, ct scans etc.......I don't know why they didn't just do a biopsy from the start, after all,  you could see it and feel it,  didn't need scans to tell them it was there.  All these tests lead to.......a biopsy......none of the scans can tell you what it is 100% for sure.   Anyway,  biopsies determined it was squamous cell carcinoma which had spread to the lymph glands in my neck.  One of the lumps was 32 mm,  plus a few much small ones.  Went down to almost my collar bone with the big lump under my jaw back towards my ear.   They never found the primary even after general anesthetic and taking tissue samples from all the suspect places.   So they just decided to hit me with radiation  from about my ear lobes down to my collar bones......all the way around.....through mouth, throat,  everything.  I had a feeding tube fitted in my stomach because they said I wont be able to eat after a while.  I also had 7 rounds of cisplatin at same time.   I heard what nightmare it was going to be.   Frankly,   I cruised it.  Eating all the way up to six weeks......and then still able to drink......so I just drank the formula that was meant for my feeding tube,  by the bucket load.   Tasted crap,  but everything I put in my mouth tasted like either shit, or cardboard.   About ten days after radiation stopped,  I was back to eating.  They gave my oral morphine to use at home....and pain killer patches.   I didnt use much of either.....but I did use bucket load of the mouth numbing oral solution to numb my mouth to the burning feeling........it worked but only because I used it differently then recommended.  I just took tiny sips and let it sit in my mouth and wooshed it around and let it trickle down my throat.....couple of little sips an hour like this and was able to stay basically pain free.   3 months after treatment,  pet scan showed all clear.   Since then all my post treatment tests have been cancelled and turned into phone consultations due to covidphobia.  I have a examination next month.   I feel good.   So far I've avoided most side affects of radiation,   even my saliva production is pretty good.   I had 35 rad treatments at pretty high doses, and came out the other side smelling like a rose. 

I'm like you,  live alone,  and not much family.  My only son had been getting more and more distant for a couple of years before this.  Upon hearing I had cancer,  he starting staying in touch more, but then went silent.  My txts when unanswered, and so did my calls.  I got pretty pissed off about it......and sent him a txt telling him so.  He just hit the roof.....started a big argument which ended in him telling me to piss of and he wants nothing to do with me anymore.   I haven't heard from him since.  My bro is really the only close family member I have left who lives in the same state.   A lot of my friends, most in fact....demonstrated that they are in fact.....not really friends after I got sick.  Anyway,  boring stories.   We are all there to maybe chat to people who understand our situation,  and how we feel......the loneliness,  anxiety,  fear,  etc.    Your journey looks like it's starting out just as mine did.......and I went through the treatment and they hit me hard......and so far.......I'm looking good.  You can do it too.   Stu

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.