wren
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hello! New & overwhelmed!

Thanks!
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

Hi again wren No need to stick to medical stuff here. Sometimes I come on and just write for the sake of it. Often I have no intention of addressing some medical question or other. I find this a good place to be me because everyone reading will understand what I'm doing. Good luck for the next bit. H
0 Kudos
richard61
Occasional Contributor

Hi Wren; I have heard that there is english bowel cancer group once everymonth in north side advanced hospital. You should got information from cancer council 131120, it will receive great help from cancer people. Regards; Richard
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Wren With your writing skils and insights have you ever thought of doing a journal - for your own therapy and others Just a thought
0 Kudos
kmf
Not applicable

Hi Wren I too am new and overwhelmed. I was diagnosed just a few weeks before you and had my first surgery two days before I turned 29. I was rushing through life busy climbing the ladder at work, traveling overseas, getting married and doing all this with an ulser that would not go away. Or maybe it would if I just slowed down. Now I have almost come to a stop, I have cancer - in my tongue so not an ulser after all. Two surgeries later (to remove the bad part of my tongue, twice and my lymph nodes to check out) I am waiting on the results to determine if I go on to have radiation. Radiation in your mouth is meant to be quite challenging. Will be a very long weekend, but all will be revealed on Tues. Somehow I will, and I am sure you will, just work a way out to cope, sounds like you are doing well at that already.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi wren, Let me start off with wishing you love, light and peace on your journey. As Salior mentioned, there is often this idea that you have to be strong and positive then you'll be fine. Almost like if you think about any alternative other then that you'll make it come true. So we outwardly appear strong, smile, but really we can be eating up inside by the what if it doesn't work? what happens if this is it? I've found that being strong is easy, admitting fear can be hard. facing mortality even harder. But I'm finding (and still working on it) that by coming to a realisation that we're all here for a short time, be it months, years or decades, all that really matters is now. And now what I value is what is important to me, rather than the objects that seemed so important before. I guess that is the blessing of cancer, it makes us revaluate what is important in our life. With chemo, I would recommend going into it from a view of loving life and wanting to live, rather than fear of death. In a recent study (the scientist in me comes out 🙂 ), by Colagiuri, B in 2008 found that those who expect the worst outcomes with chemo have the highest levels of nausea. While those who expected a better outcome had lower levels of nausea and a better quality of life. I can also highly recommend a "Quest for Life" program as a place to find yourself, learn some simple tools for your health and wellbeing as well as being surrounded by the most beautiful people. If your looking for a support group, then I'd also recommend that the people who make it up are more important then what type of cancer they have. The SAN hospital has some very good groups (if you're in sydney). I hope some of this was helpful. Peace be with you, U can
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.