Hey new to this, Kidney RCC

Thomthom2913
New Contributor

Hey new to this, Kidney RCC

Hey everyone. Just turned 42 and was told I have RCC in the upper lobe of my R kidney. Dr says they should be able to remove it and should be fine. Anyone's thoughts on this? It's only 2.6cm x 1.6 x 2.3cm solid tumor. He's saying since it's early I should be ok. Anyone with similar issues or thoughts? 

7 REPLIES 7
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Hey new to this, Kidney RCC

Hi thomthom2913,

I have MRCC, diagnosed in 2012.  Given the fact  the tumour was found early you are very lucky, & yeah, you should be fine.   The body only needs 10% of one functioning kidney to survive well enough before dialisys is needed.  Do you have a date for surgery yet?

Budgie

Thomthom2913
New Contributor

its in about 2 1/2 weeks. There's no signs of it in any other organs around that kidney. I know it's robotically going to performed. It's just a little scary going thru. It's seems to never end for me. When I was 26 I broke my back and had a L5-S1 fusion. Then 2016 fell 17’ off a roof head first shattering my neck, broke shoulder, elbow, and put a nail all the way thru my hand/wrist. I have an anterior and posterior fusion from C7-C3. Screws and anchors in my shoulder. 2 wrist/hand surgeries fixing the severed ulnar nerve and Elbow surgery. I was on books to get 2nd shoulder surgery but the Kidney trumps that. 

I was more curious on if and how other people dealt with this and recovery or re occurring cancer. He said that it's aggressive but it's small which is in my favor and not spread. 

I have 4 kids and a 3 year daughter that I want to see get married and kids graduate schools. 

Thanks for the response. 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Good luck with your surgery.

If they get it all, you should be fine & not need any further treatment.  

All the best.

NotaBergen
Occasional Contributor

Hi, your post takes me back a couple of years to when I was diagnosed with RCC Thomthom2913. I can clearly remember being terrified and that my world had just fallen apart. I had been living with the cancer for quite a long time so it was far more advanced, the whole kidney, the Ureter, part of the bladder and a section of the renal vein were removed. I mention this as the operation was quite complex. Hard work for the surgeon, but relatively easy for me, recovery was pretty quick.

Three nights in hospital, I took a month off work and returned to light duties for a couple of weeks. I was back to work full time after about six weeks. There was some minor discomfort when laying down to sleep, but otherwise during the day I exercised and worked as though nothing had happened.

I've had further experience with cancer since then but the original digagnosis was made at a much later stage.

A friend has been though a similar situation to yours this year, they are a couple of decades older but have still recovered very well. Recent scans had been clear and oncologists seems to feel that will contiune.

Wishing you good luck with your surgery and a quick recovery.

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi Thom,

Scary times for you.  I'm sorry.  It's a hard diagnosis but yes, you're lucky it was caught early.  Sounds as if you've had a great deal of experience with surgery so your prior knowledge may help you through this time.  

The best advice around here is to stay positive, hopeful and focused.  Gain knowledge and empower yourself to make good decisions. Google but stick to good information and articles from well known sources.  You have the knowledge of the world at your finger tips.  I looked for survivor stories that helped me greatly.  Let go of fear and anxiety before surgery.  You're in excellent hands and 3veryone on your team is there to do the best they can for you.  Couple of good docmentaries - The C Word and Heal.  Rotten is good too but may put you off food forever. Not for the feint hearted.   I tell everyone to get olive leaf tablets.  One every day to boost your immune system.  Golden magic - except it's green.  Laugh.  Find comedy.  Excellent for your T cells to fight.  Smoothies and juices.  

What I found that really helped throughout radiotherapy treatment was to watch end of world films such as World War Z.  Seriously horrible stuff like Hoarders.  Helps to make you feel better about your own life and that's good after diagnosis.  

I wish you all the very best for the journey ahead of you.  Keep us updated on how you are.  Somehow it helps us all.  Good luck.

Thomthom2913
New Contributor

Thanks for the response, and thank you for your advice. I’m not so much into death movies or end of world. I’m a US Army Vet and knowing the things I know and have learned I know this world is in a very fine tipping point. I’m a very strong willed person and I make the best out of everything. I love humor and always making fun of my conditions and being disabled. But, I’m every bit of thankful to benefit on the Plus side of things and how much worse things could be for me. I’m a strong believer in God and have never blamed him for anything that happened to me or is happening. My mom and wife have other thoughts on why he would do this to people, but, I just say he does it for his reason and he knows my life and what needs to be done. It’s the learning and testing phase and I tell them God has me at his best interest, even if I suffer someone may learn something to further help others. The only thing in life that scares me is the future of my kids. They have my heart and are my everything in life. Me to suffer is fine, but to watch my kids watch me suffer kills my soul. It kills me to not be able to do the physical dad things or always having to go thru surgeries. A 3 year old girl doesn’t understand but only seems like I’m just not interested in roughing around with her or my 8 year boy playing ball with. As soon as this kidney surgery is over I have to have second R shoulder surgery. A total open surgery to fix a rotator cuff and ACL and clean the bursitis our. The first surgery almost killed me because I got 7 PE’s 9 days after and was critical shape and the crash cart was brought in 2x the first night I was in. But, the PE’s are scary esp now they have to work on the Kidney which can easily bleed. I’m not on blood thinners but always anticipating other PE’s after surgery. But I’ve had 3 surgeries since the PE’s and came out on top.

As far as Google, I only research reputable sites. I always read about treatments and outcomes and in and outs of everything. My dr.s are always impressed I know everything about what’s going on. Sometimes they tell me to just let them be the dr. And worry and me not to. It’s easier said than done when it’s your body and family that’s going through this change.

I’m not familiar with diet or what to or not to eat. don’t drink alcohol, never smoked or have done drugs besides some weed when I was 17 and 18 so 24 years ago. I don’t eat fast food or greasy food. I’m 20# overweight which I argue with the dr.s calling me obese. Since I’m 6’3 and 227#.

But either way. Thank you for your advice and it’s encouraging to see how others adapt to life after these diagnoses. It helps keep my chin up.

Others post on here I read are heartbreakingly sad. And all I can say is know that there is something better in the end that’s going be revealed. Just don’t succumb to the Evil in this world that wants to take you down.
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi Thomthom2913,

You sound very well grounded & so are probably already doing what I'm going to suggest;  talk to your kids about the cancer, & be honest with them.  Even the very young will understand if you explain it well enough.   Most adults don't give enough credit to children in regards to how much they actually understand.  

Cheers

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.