Hi all! I'm new to this.

sarah_hopes
New Contributor

Hi all! I'm new to this.

Hi Everyone I thought I'd introduce myself my names Sarah. I'm 27 years old and recently got diagnosed with Bowel cancer. I've never been on a forum before so this is a first for me. But I thought I'd give it a go because I still don't feel comfortable talking about my condition to people. I'm now 4 weeks post op and I feel I have a lot more positivity than before but I still have my days. 😞 So, I saw an Oncologist yesterday and I'm still deciding whether to undergo the Chemotherapy treatment or not. I'm at that stage now where I'm confused with everything that's going on. Has anyone taken the oral Chemo. called Xeloda? If you could share your experiences with me it'd be most appreciated! 🙂
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
neenie
New Contributor

Re: Hi all! I'm new to this.

Hi Sarah I know how you feel thats why I also joined this site just now. I just needed someone to talk to that wasn't family or close friends. I had already had radiation treatment for my brain tumor 12mths previous to chemo, but it had grown back so had to have chemo. I had oral chemo for the tumour but my meds were called Temozolomide, (prob does similar things). I found it easier than going to hospital for treatment as my veins hate needles. Each morning I would take a nausea tablet 1/hr before taking 3 chemo pills. I did this for 5 days, then there is a 3 week break. Blood tests each month to check on white cell count. I did this for 6mths. It will be 12mths this June since I finished. Nothing has changed. no growth, no shrinkage, and oncologist seems happy. The main side effect I found was some fatigue, was never sick and no hair loss. Read up what you can about the Xeloda and hopefully someone here has used that particular one.n But I found the oral chemo easier to organise my time and was still able to work. Duhhh me, didn't see your post date and you prob have made the decision. Oh well, least you know someone does read posts. Hope you are going ok.
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Sarah, I'm glad you posted. This forum is a great way to share experiences with people who will know what you're talking about. There is also an organisation called The Warwick Foundation that supports people with cancer aged 25-40 (an often overlooked demographic). They have a peer support program which aims to link up people of the same demographic with the same cancer. I think they also have a dedicated bowel cancer group. The website is www.thewarwickfoundation.org.au if you want to check it out; and keep posting here, too! love Emily
0 Kudos
sarah_hopes
New Contributor

Hi Neenie, Thanks for your reply! :) Yeah I decided to go on Chemo to give myself the best chance of the cancer not returning. I'm still a little scared, but after reading your response I feel much more confident. :) My treatment that I'll be starting tomorrow sounds very similar to what you had. Except it's nine tablets each day for a fornight then one week rest and it'll be for six months as well. How did you find working while you were on chemo? Was it a challenge? I'm hoping to return to work while I'm on treatment. I'm glad to hear that the oncologists are happy with your results and I hope you are to. Stay positive and I hope you keep hearing positive things from now on in. Once again thank you for your reply it's really nice to know that there's people out there that are experiencing the same things and can share their experiences. Keep in touch! 🙂 x
0 Kudos
sarah_hopes
New Contributor

Hi Emily, Thank you for providing that site for me to look up. I checked it out and it's great! Thank youuu. I appreciate it. I hope you've been well and thanks for replying my post. 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.