Hysterectomy surgery for cervical cancer

Corryne
New Contributor

Hysterectomy surgery for cervical cancer

I’ve been diagnosed with cervical cancer and the oncologist has recommended a hysterectomy which I’m okay with as I’m 40yo and finished having children. I’m concerned however about the surgery itself- he wants to do open surgery rather than keyhole as this method has better long-term survival rates. I’m concerned about surgical risks, recovery times, hospital time (eps in COVID19 time- surgery is soon) infection etc. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions on this? Thanks 🙏 

5 REPLIES 5
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Hysterectomy surgery for cervical cancer

Hi Corryne,

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis with cancer.

I can't comment on the long term survival rates of the open surgery vs keyhole. Over the years (I'm 43), I have, however, had quite a few surgeries.

I've only had an issue with infection once, and that was in 2005 and I've had a number of surgeries, both key hole and open surgery since then.

My last surgery was for my cancer and that was open surgery (remove tumour and colectomy).

One of the things that really helped me in recovering quickly was walking and exercising as much as I could. Not pushing things too hard, but gentle exercise.

Also, you have age in your favour, so that should also helping recovery time.

Have you  started discussing dates with your surgeon yet?

Let me know if you have any other questions.

-s

Kelly1203
New Contributor

I'm newly diagnosed waiting for staging  all i know  so far is a hysterectomy also.  Can't sleep   at all with worry x 

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

I'm so sorry Kelly.  It is a frightening time to be diagnosed.  What I've found and many others too, is that we tend to calm down a little once we know what's going to happen and when.  You can prepare for it.  The time just before that is the most frightening time.  Just know you are in safe hands and that the medical and nursing people around you are going to do their very best to help you.  

It is also a difficult time for you because of the Covid-19 as to delays in getting treatment.  I'm really sorry that there isn't anything much I can say to help you.  Just know this is a good forum to discuss your worries and concerns.  

I wish you the very best with this and hope some of your concerns area answered soon.  Try to get good sleep and not be sleepless in those dark hours.  If you are find a game you can play that will block it out of your mind,  Read a book.  Have a plan for what to do.  I hope you have lots of loving support around you.

Please take care and let us know how things work out when you can.

tisme
Contributor

im having an ultra sound tomorrow doc is thinking cancer , i cant sleep  i do have some understanding of how you feel  the fear of what if is driving me crazy 

0 Kudos
Kelly1203
New Contributor

Hi . I'm going through  exactly the  same as u and I'm 42 . I had a covid swab yesterday.  Going in to hospital tomorr  x

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.