My wife has pancreatic cancer that has metastasised. She was diagnosed in July this year. Her main symptoms were a DVT and Pulmonary Embolisms. She has had 13 chemotherapy treatments so far and her tumours in her lungs, liver and pancreas have shrunk somewhat. The oncologist and nurses suggested that she have a port. Her veins are still OK. Any advice on whether she should go ahead with a port? What questions should I ask the oncologist? Should she wait for further treatment until she gets a port?
I believe it can be easier for delivery of chemo and other benefits ,instead of constant needle pricks with iv in hand or arm catheter,Have an discussion with your oncologist asking the pros and cons ,then make an informed decision yourself on what you are most comfortable with it is your body,I didn’t have a port but got tired of the constant trouble of finding a vein to take the iv catheter..
I had my treatment a number of years ago now, and I had a port-a-cath. I had treatments over 6 months. I think (from memory) the main reason I had mine was because some of chemotherapies were given to me over 2 days.
Here is a website with some information, which also includes questions you might want to ask our doctor/treating team.
Be part of this supportive community