Introducing myself

JudyB
New Contributor

Introducing myself

Hi all A month ago I was diagnosed with primary breast cancer. They couldn't save my breast and I had a mastectomy a week later. I have had my scans and am seeing the medical oncologist tomorrow to discuss chemotherapy and hormone treatment. Apart from the initial shock, horror etc., I have been very positive and coped well. Today I am having my first down that I am having trouble pulling myself out of. I am starting to dread chemotherapy, dread losing my hair and dreading the fatigue that I may encounter, not to mention any other nice little side effects that might come along for the ride. I have been looking forward to summer and the long days and the holiday season and now I feel so cheated out of them. I can't wait for winter when the worst will be over (I hope). I know I shouldn't complain. My prognosis is excellent. I only showed signs of cancer in one lymph node and considering the size of the lump this is excellent news. My cancer is hormone receptor positive, so excellent news again. It's just all starting to get a little on top of me. Is there anyone else out there (silly question I know) who can put my mind at ease about the lymph node part of the operation. The tightness of my scar and the numbness of my chest is starting to bring me down. I have been told that the numbness won't go away, please tell me this tight feeling will. Will I ever feel comfortable again with touching myself and not feeling sick? I think really I'm just feeling so bad today because I am really concerned about the results of my scan and starting chemotherapy. It's all so scary. Judy
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Introducing myself

Hiya Judy I find i go through stages of being ok and determined about things and then i hit a bit of a brick wall. I try and limit my down town as in put a time limit on it and when it comes to the end of that time if i am not ready i pretty much kick myself up the proverbial and get on with it. I have just finished chemo and i was suprised at how well i tolerated it. One time i did get a bit sick from it and just mentioned it to the doctor and they changed the antesemetics and it was all good for the next one. Regardless of prognosis i dont think being diagnosed with cancer is easy on anyone. 🙂 Its a tough gig to travel at times and yet at other times i find rewarding, bit like life i guess! Hang in there re having chemo, just remember you dont actually know what you will be facing yet and can deal with if and when it happens. hugssss to you. Julie
0 Kudos
JudyB
New Contributor

Re: Introducing myself

Thanks Julie I have been following the 'don't stress about chemo, it's different for everyone' theory since being diagnosed. It's just that as it gets closer it's getting more real. My appointment with the oncologist is tomorrow and I am starting to stress about my scan results. Up until now I haven't felt like a cancer patient, just someone who has had an operation. I suppose after tomorrow the reality will be more obvious. I will have a date. The sooner I start though, the sooner I finish, so it's not all bad. Thanks again Judy
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.