Recently Diagnosised

Dazmak
New Contributor

Recently Diagnosised

Hi everybody,Last night (Wednesday) I was discharged from hospital "Prince of Wales" Sydney, after being diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer (with suspect,spots on the liver).This is all very frightening and new to me as I only went into the emergency department on saturday with stomach pains.I have spent the last few hours on the net searching and seeking and look forward to being an active participant on this site.Any information, support or general chat will be greatly appreciated. And I will return same.All the very best to you all.Dazmak
4 REPLIES 4
slacker
Occasional Contributor

Re: Recently Diagnosised

Dazmak, How are you feeling today - are you able to relax a bit at home? It is such a shock to receive that "C"-word diagnosis and very frightening. Have your doctors given you some treatment options or an idea of what kind of pancreatic cancer your facing? There is certainly a lot of intimidating info out there about pancreatic cancer...I was so overwhelmed when I was first diagnosed (ok, I can't lie, I still am pretty overwhelmed by it all) last January. As hard as it is, try not to dwell on the statistics, I found them to be pretty grim and would always get me down if I thought about them too much. After a stack of ERCPs and other things at St George, I had my surgery at POW private (a wonderful wonderful surgeon did my Whipple surgery, he's such a lovely person and so easy to get in contact with whenever I have any questions) and received follow up chemo and radiation in POW public - I am now cancer free and just having 3 monthly followups, this thing is beat-able! I am more than happy to discuss any part of my treatment/experiences over the past year with you if you think it will help you to understand your situation. Just post a message or send me an email. I really hope I can be of some assistance. Big big hugs to you. e
admin_one
Contributor

Hi Dazmak, Just wanted to send you my best wishes. Our community if full of supportive people and I hope that you can get the most of being able to interact with other members of the community. Please keep us updated with and feel free to send any question at any time. Totocol
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Dazmak - Welcome! Sorry to hear you've just been diagnosed with pancan. One of the best ways to reduce the fears and gradually get a sense of control over your situation is to develop and carry out an action plan. This can include being involved in the discussions about the treatment plan with your medical team, and gathering information on the internet, and communicating with others who've been diagnosed with cancer. Sounds like you're getting onto it already :) I've sent you a private message with some links - hope you find them useful. Best wishes, Ed.
0 Kudos
Dazmak
New Contributor

Firstly,thank you all for your kind comments and offers of support. I apologize for not replying sooner but I was re-admitted to hospital due to infection. ( I was given a drainage bag upon discharge to collect excess fluids which caused infection) I am still offically an inpatient but I managed to get a few hours release from the wonderful staff at P.O.W Sydney. My diagnosis is now complete and I have been informed that I have stageIV Pancreatic Cancer, which as far as I understand means that it has spread to other organs and is an advanced form. Although I will not see my speciallist until tomorrow morning I have been advised that as soon as I am clear of infection, treat will start in the form of chemotherapy. Once again thank you, and I will keep you informed of how I am going. I must admit though that apart from a few aches and pains I feel remarkably well. Until next time, keep the information coming... Regards, Dazmak
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.