Just been diagnosed with incurable bowel cancer

Deano65
New Contributor

Re: Just been diagnosed with incurable bowel cancer

Hi there, I was diagnosed with incurable bowel cancer with spread to lymph nodes, liver and lungs in May 2017. I was told I was incurable, would have palliative care, surgery not possible and I would have 2 years.
I have had panitumimab, iranitecin and flouracil 5fu every fortnight with breaks in between. In July 2018, there was no trace in my liver and lungs and I was allowed surgery
I had a bowel resection and lymph nodes removed. I still don't have my primary tumour though I had a regrowth in my lungs. It will be 4 years in May, far more than I ever imagined.
Stay positive and don't give up.
stevepath

It is happy to know that you are now cancer-free. I hope you are having a great time with your family without worrying.

I would like also to share the power of bowel pathology test which can your life. 

https://knowpathology.com.au/simple-test-save-your-life/

0 Kudos
Deano65
New Contributor

Hi Mel, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was told I had incurable bowel cancer in May 2017 which was in my bowel, lymph nodes, liver and lungs and given 1 to 2 years. I responded so well to treatment that in September 2018 I had my lymph nodes and section of bowel removed, my liver remains cancer free and I just have 2 nodules in my lung which are treated with chemo. It is now getting closer to 5 years. 

I stay positive, have written a children's book and take each day as it comes. Nobody knows how you will respond to treatment so I wish you good luck.xx

Michelle77
New Contributor

Hi there 😄 iv been told the same incurable bowel . I was told in sept 2021 and have had 5 IV treatments in hospital and I am on chemo tablets . I kno how u feel when your told it’s incurable . But stay positive as I am trying so hard too as well but I have too. I had some scans since then and all is shrinking and that was some good news . Treatment is effective and will be for u too. I can be here for u as we both have the same. I have down days and probs need to speak to ppl who ‘get it’ !
Lol099
Occasional Contributor

Hi i know this is an old thread but, I have just been told a very similar diagnosis on Tuesday and start chemo on Tuesday very quick! Too big to operate on atm so I’m really just waiting to start chemo and praying that it works.

im 38 mother to a 3 & 5 yo so this is the hardest part for me and I will fight as hard as I can but goodness me what an emotional roller coaster, switching between is this a dream to bawling.

im glad to read all your stories as most give me hope in these early stages and I’m really focused on being as positive as possible.

Deano65
New Contributor

So sorry to hear your news. Its a  very difficult time for you. I was given 12 to 18 months back in May 2017. Luckily my body responded well to chemo and I'm still here almost 5 and a half years later. I do believe staying positive is the key. I will always be terminal but live the best life I can. I get chemo breaks and learn to tolerate the side effects.

Good luck. You can do it.xx

Melb088
New Contributor

Hi Rowie,

My name is Melissa and I really connected with your situation. I have recently turned 35 and have been diagnosed with Stage 3C bowel cancer-with more investigations to do on my liver pending. I keep switching between my emotions too and I am so afraid that I wont be able to be remain strong and handle it, for my families sake.

I know you posted this back in 2019 so I am hoping to hear from you now on how you experienced this journey and if you would have any advice that you could give me please?

Thank you, hope to hear from you soon.

Melissa

0 Kudos
Melb088
New Contributor

Hi Lol099,
My name is Melissa. How is everything going for you? I am also newly diagnosed - within a week - and I am 35 and trying to wrap my head around it all. yes talk about an emotional roller coaster and I'm so worried about my family and how they must be feeling too. I'm hoping to stay focused on being positive and holding onto hope too. So if you would like someone to talk to I am here.
Mel x
0 Kudos
Melb088
New Contributor

Hi Michelle,

My name is Melissa and I am sorry for your diagnosis too. I have just recently been diagnosed and I am looking at receiving chemo in the next few weeks. So far everything has been unclear and a waiting game. Do you mind if I ask you how your treatments have been? I'm really glad that you were given good news about the shrinking, what does that mean for next steps?

I hope you would like to chat, if so I'm here for you too.

Thank you,

Mel x

0 Kudos
Lol099
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mel wow our stories are so similar I would love to get in touch if you are ok with that maybe we could do this journey together.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.