Lung cancer diagnosis

Iyana271
Contributor

Re: Lung cancer diagnosis

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis! There are so many treatment options available to decrease signs of SCLC including radiation therapy, surgery, chemotherapy, or combination of therapies to help you live longer. For SCLC doctors prefer to go with immunotherapy or chemotherapy. 

If you smoke then it is better to quit smoking right away as it can be more harmful to your lungs. Talk with your doctor about the treatment options, including clinical trials, so you are comfortable with the treatment plan.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
debbiev
Contributor

Hi Iyana271

So sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  You have friends here please keep us informed your progress.

There is some of us here that have gone thru some of the treatment that you are likely to go thru although we might not have had the same cancer they do have same sort to treatment.  For example I have gone thru chemotherapy and now in remission but are going thru immunotherapy so if there is any questions you would like to ask please do.  We all have your back here and will help as much as we can.

Good Luck we send our prayers to you.

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Are you going through Immunotherapy recently?

0 Kudos
debbiev
Contributor

Yes Iyana I am on rixtuximab injection every three months.  My 1st one was on 14th February.  Some days I get rather tired but that is one of the side effects.  My next one is 14th May.  I did have follicular lymphoma.

Iyana I just take each day as it comes and if I think about anything and it is not urgent I write it down to discuss with my cancer doctor next time I see him, or I ring him if it is urgent.  This treatment goes for 2 years.

0 Kudos
jorob
Occasional Contributor

Saw the oncologist today.  He told me that he could "cure" my cancer with chemo.

Three weeks, three times a week with 2 drugs - carboplatin and etoposide.

He even told me that I wouldn't lose my hair - perhaps suffer some nausea.

I have completely lost faith.

At this stage,  I have decided not to proceed,  and he is referring me to the radiology oncologist.

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Hi @jorob , If your doctor is assuring you that he can cure your disease and you'll not even lose your hairs then nothing can be the best option than this? Why have you lost faith and thinking negatively?

It is very important to keep faith in your doctor and trusting him. You must keep your attitude positive only then you can fight with cancer.

You must proceed as per doctor's advice so that you can get cured asap. I hope the treatment works well for you. Think of your family before making any decisions, it will boost your positive thoughts of surviving.

Stay positive and keep fighting!

Iyana271
Contributor

I hope with time passing you'll recover soon and treatment will work well for you. You're already doing a great job by keeping in touch with your doctor and writing own everything that you need to know. It will also help your doctor to get the idea that what medicine is working best for you and he can adjust the dosage as per requirements. 

Take care of yourself and if you face any of the side effects then contact your doctor asap.

Best of luck with your treatment!

0 Kudos
jorob
Occasional Contributor

The reason I am losing faith is that the side effects on the information sheet are diametrically opposed to that which the oncologist told me.

I would very likely lose my hair.

I am already profoundly deaf in one ear and severely deaf in another and one of the proposed drugs quite often does cause hearing loss.  Any further hearing loss for me would mean total and absolute deafness.

His version of "cure" does not have the same meaning to me.  I believe he means delay my death for perhaps a year or so.  He mentioned perhaps 2 years.

0 Kudos
Iyana271
Contributor

Well, I can understand how are you feeling right now! But it is better to go with the treatment at least you can live more. I if you will keep your attitude positive then it is possible that you can survive through this.

As for the side effects, there are other medications to deal with them that you can take as per your oncologist's advice.

But it is not a good idea to not take the treatment, it will only cause you more pain. There are so many survivors in this page you can read their stories and get inspiration from them. I hope you go with the treatment and get well soon.

Best of luck!

Leanne71
New Contributor

Hi Jorob,

I’m sorry hear of your small cell lung cancer diagnosis. My Mum was diagnosed in September 2017 (age 73)  & was given 8-12 weeks to live without treatment. It all went fast from there, she was in hospital the following week to start Chemo. She handled it well initially then came some side effects  which saw her in and out of hospital numerous times over 4-5 months.  They found that she had another  different cancer lying underneath this one ( squamous cell carcinoma)  She then had radiation which was another story & didn’t agree with her. She had pneumonia during treatment 3 times. The Oncologist discussed immunotherapy with us which is totally different to chemo & radiation. It is amazing! My mum has immunotherapy every 3rd Friday and will do for the rest of her life. It is such an amazing & very successful treatment for her with no side effects. About to start the Cancer journey now with my dad who was just diagnosed yesterday. 

Best of luck in your treatment, Xx

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.