Meeting people diagnosed with breast cancer

kimmyowen
Occasional Contributor

Meeting people diagnosed with breast cancer

Hello my name is Kim and I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer in March 2012. Ironically I was diagnosed on my 32nd wedding anniversary. I have undergone surgery, I chose to undergo a lumpectomy, have undergone 18 weeks of chemo and nearly to the end of 6 weeks radiation. I have HER2 positive breast cancer so I will continue to have hercepton via IV drip until June 2013.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Allicat
Contributor

Re: Meeting people diagnosed with breast cancer

Hi Kim Welcome to the site. It's good you're nearly at the end of treatment although that can be a confusing time as well. I remember I felt relieved but also suddenly adrift without the goal of getting thru treatment. Herceptin for a year is a breeze after chemo, and I actually liked still going into the hospital and seeing the nurses. I hope your treatment is going well and you are not feeling too bad.
0 Kudos
suzie_s
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kim, I too was diagnosed with breast cancer in March 2012. First found the lump in Sept 2010 and after mammograms and ultrasounds was told 'no evidence of malignancy could be found'. 18 months later it was starting to give me a bit of trouble so was sent off to see a surgeon to have it 'popped out'. Luckily she ran her own set of tests including a core biopsy - and bingo! Mastectomy followed shortly with the insertion of a tissue expander. Last week I had a reconstruction and am starting to come good, feels like a boa constrictor around me! I did not have chemo as was told not much to gain (but now wish I did) but I am having zoladex injections for two years and tamoxifen for five at least. Sounds stupid but I feel people don't take me seriously because I didn't lose my hair! I hope all is going well for you. Sometimes it helps to know there are others out there in the same boat, even if it is a rocky one! Hold on tight! suzie
0 Kudos
racha
New Contributor

Hi Suzie Was chemo an option for you. I am going to be on zoladex for 2 yrs and tamoxifen for 10 yrs. I am 44. I have the option of going for chemo as well although I was told that since mine was hormone +ve, it does not respond well to chemo. So not sure whether to have chemo or not.
0 Kudos
suzie_s
Occasional Contributor

Hi Racha, Good to hear from you. Sounds like you have the same dilemma that I had about chemo. I was told the same as you so opted out of chemo but then did nothing but think about it for a while. Finally started to let it go and just get on with the reconstruction which I had 3 weeks ago now. At the same time I had a lumpectomy on the other side to remove a "harmless" lump, just to get rid of it. Turns out this has abnormal pre-cancerous cells! The darn thing was biopsied the same time as the other side so go figure! The surgeon said she only removed just the lump as it was considered safe, but if she had known this she would have taken more surrounding tissue. Far out the fun never ends. Off to see the oncologist next week but she doesn't think he will alter anything. I wish I could help you with your decision. I know chemo is very toxic and the risks can outweigh the benefits, but it has to be something you are sure about. By the way I am 52 (just in case you were wondering). Hang in there, Suzie
0 Kudos
racha
New Contributor

Oh Dear. hope the hormone treatment takes care of any remnants if any of the other lump. You are right abt the fun never ending. Its a roller coaster ride. Life pre-cancer seems very carefree now.My oncologist is going to refer me to an expert in this field. I will decide after I meet him. thanks Suzie for replying. You take care. Dont worry we gonna beat this.
0 Kudos
suzie_s
Occasional Contributor

Hi Racha, Glad to hear you are getting all the information you can. I would be interested to hear what you decide, given our situations sound so similar. Did you have any lymph node involvement? I had what they called a micro-met to just one lymph node, but you just have to wonder, what if there was more? Hang in there and try not to let it keep you awake at night! Kind regards, Suzie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.