New here. German 30 years old, lymphoma, facing treatment far away from home

Lars1983
Occasional Contributor

New here. German 30 years old, lymphoma, facing treatment far away from home

I am 30 years old, German and here on a long stay working visa. I have recently been diagnosed with nodular lymphocyte predominant Hodgkin's lymphoma (a very rare form of Hodgkin's lymphoma) and am probably in stage III (the staging is not completed yet). I have decided to stay in Australia for treatment although I know that it will be a tough time. I am trying to establish a support network through my friends, flatmates and my boss' family. I will probably start chemotherapy at the Kinghorn Cancer Centre very soon. I am still not sure whether I should choose the ABVD treatment or escalated BEACOPP. In general, I'd be happy to meet people (either online or maybe even in person) who are either survivors or are facing the same fears and situation as me. I try to think postitively and keep calm although I am also very scared because I do not know what to expect. Is there anyone in my age range?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Lily_Warren
Not applicable

Re: New here. German 30 years old, lymphoma, facing ...

Hey Lars1983, i'm new, and my mum has Non-Hodgkins lymphoma. she is 44, diagnosed two years ago, and has been through the whole kit and cabodoole, 6 months of chemo ( my mum had mabthera instead) cat scans and lots of prodding with needles. She was worn out, but made it through. I am only 13, so I don't know that much about her treatment, but she was scared too. Just, be brave I guess, i'm sure you will be fine.
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lars, I know what it is like to face a serious illness far away from your family. I emigrated here 5 years ago from the UK with my husband and son and last year was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer - which was not part of the dream life down under!!. I am now in remission but really understand how vulnerable you feel when your close family seem so far away. From my experience regular phone and Skype contact is a great help - and at the end of the day Europe is "closer" than it has ever been with the range of flight options available. It sounds like you have built a support network with the people around you which is also really important. Good luck with your treatment journey. I know it is scary and daunting to start with, but you will be surprised with your inner strength and the generosity and caring support of your friends and colleagues. Thinking of you.
0 Kudos
Catherine251
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lars, I hope you're coping with your journey to recovery, particularly being so far from home. I'm 34 and having chemo for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. I also find that there aren't many other young people fighting cancer, particularly Lymphoma. When I go for my Chemo treatments, the majority of the other patients are about 60-80 and look sick, so I feel like I don't belong. Friends try to be supportive, but the emotional impact of cancer is difficult to understand unless you've been there so sometimes it helps to talk to someone who understands. Cancer sucks, but it makes us tap in to strength we never thought we had. All the best with your treatment, stay positive and strong! Kind regards, Catherine
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.