wavegirl
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I was recently diagnosed with bowel cancer. I am having surgery next Thursday March 19th. They're telling me it's early stage and well contained, a tumour on the ceacum. I'm feeling really well, positive. I've never had surgery before so I'm finding that more daunting than having cancer. My friends have all been wonderful, I am blessed to be surrounded with some wonderful people. My sons coped well with the news, parents not so well, and my husband is my absolute rock. Just thought I'd join up here as I think the aftermath of the surgery will be my challenging time.
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Maureenf
Contributor

Re: New member

Wavegirl, yes its a very scarey time, I had my operation within a week of my diagnosis, didnt have much time to dwell on it. The operation is not so bad, although I had quite a few complications. Good luck
0 Kudos
Netti
New Contributor

I wish your surgery was tomorrow because I think that the waiting is the hardest part. I hope you are having a laparoscopic right hemicolectomy with an end-to-end anastomosis because they literally chop the bit out and join the hose back together, stick you on the rapid recovery diet, then wave you good-bye, as right as rain. I had this back in 2009 and I've never missed the missing bits. My advice, and this is personal, is to get off the opiate meds as soon as you are able. They mess with the peristalsis action of the bowel and can create their own dramas (again, personal experience only). Second pearl of wisdom is to get out of bed asap and walk, walk, walk your way back to health and fitness. Thirdly, I'll quote Churchill, "If you are going through hell, keep going." Be strong x
0 Kudos
wavegirl
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Netti for your message, it quite made my day! Yes, the waiting is certainly the worst part. I am having exactly the surgery you describe, so feeling pretty positive about it. I already had walking on my recovery agenda, as I'm a very active, fit person, so sitting around is going to be difficult for me. But I've taken note of your advice on the optiate meds. Fortunately I have an excellent GP. It's only due to her thoroughness that my cancer was picked up at all, so I will be able to debrief with her post-op and can talk about all these things with her. Just putting one foot in front of the other for now. Thanks again xx
0 Kudos
wavegirl
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Maureen. The waiting is the worst. And I've never had surgery before so I really don't know what to expect. This time next week it will all be over and I can move forward xox
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

Glad my messages have been seen! Thanks ladies!
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

and wave girl, I agree with what Netti says, thats the surgery I had but dont be suprised if they want to do a bit of 'mop up' chemo after!
0 Kudos
Maureenf
Contributor

ok, sort of working it out now, this site, I mean, you will be very sore afterwards, I still feel that now but as I said not so bad! the waiting I understand, just horrible but you will be fine!Where are you having it done,I am in Melbourne, dont know where you are!
0 Kudos
wavegirl
Occasional Contributor

I live in Merimbula on the Far South Coast of NSW. I am having the surgery in Canberra.
0 Kudos
wavegirl
Occasional Contributor

Yes, I'm hoping not to hear the word 'chemo', but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it. All I know is they send the cancer and lymph away for testing, and that will determine if I have to have any further treatment. My father in law had the same thing, and the surgery was the end of it, so fingers crossed!!!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.