Newly diagnosed Invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer

Not applicable

Newly diagnosed Invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer

I have only just being diagnosed and further tests have shown cancer has spread to the lymph nodes. Will be having operation in a week to remove lymph nodes and then that will be checked to see if its travelled any further. After that i start chemo which will be 6 sessions and then radiation. I am scared out of my mind and would love for anyone to tell me their experience with the treatment and what to expect. Will i still be able to work etc Briony
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Bella2010
New Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed Invasive ductal carcinoma breast cancer

Good luck Briony, I hope it all goes well for you.
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Hi Briony, Sorry to hear you've been diagnosed. One thing I can tell you is, you're not alone - you're on a path being walked by millions of women and some men around the world. You might also consider joining the Aussie Breast Cancer Forum http://bcaus.org.au/forum/ and if you're under forty years young, the Planet Cancer social networking site http://myplanet.planetcancer.org There's also a wonderful website called Breastcancer.org which is a mine of valuable information about breast cancer and its treatment and it has the biggest breast cancer community discussion boards on the internet http://breastcancer.org Good luck with the surgery and good luck on your journey :) Best wishes, Ed.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Ed, Thanks heaps for that info and thanks for replying, i will go and look at that info you have given me, cheers briony
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Briony, I was also diagnosed not long ago and it has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I had a lumpectomy and 31 lymph nodes removed, 26 had cancer. What I have found is that while I try to be positive and hopeful, I do have my dark moments and that is quite normal. Spending time with friends and family and just getting on with life are the most important things. I am trying to move beyond thinking of myself as a `cancer patient' and talking cancer and treatment all the time (easier said than done). It is a scary time, but try to be hopeful and plan for the future. Best wishes, Kate
0 Kudos
Pinkroses
Occasional Contributor

Me too.   I get frightened to death some days,   I know my husband loves me and is so very supportive, but now and then nothing makes very much sense and I get to thinking really rotten thoughts.   I do hope that things have taken a turn for the better for you over time.   Life's not all that fair, is it?   I have no way of thinking that I have done anything to deserve all this crap.   Let me know how things have become for you sometime.  I need all the help I can get just now.

pinkroses

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.