Newly diagnosed with uterine cancer

jesigirl87
Occasional Contributor

Newly diagnosed with uterine cancer

Hi Everyone My name is Jess. I'm 29 years old and recently diagnosed with Grade 1 Endometrial Cancer, Stage 1A last month. Am completely shocked as this was only picked up during an ultrasound when I went to my GP back in Feb 2016 with complaints of heavy bleeding different to regular monthly bleeding. I was referred to a gyno in June 2016 and it was suspected I had endometrial hyperplasia and underwent a hysteroscopy and dilation/curettage in August to determine what type of hyperplasia I have. Turns out I had the worst type of hyperplasia (complex atypical) as well as cancer. Wondering if there are many others who are going through this and are younger women of child bearing age? I have been told its quite uncommon to have this type of cancer when you are under 40, let alone being in my 20s. Although I have a good support network, I am struggling with my emotions all the time as sometimes I feel I have no right to be upset as it's very early stages and there are many people more worse off than me but on the other hand grieving as I feel my chances to have children are slipping away from me.
3 REPLIES 3
nello
Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed with uterine cancer

Hi Jess, I was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma when I was 25. Although it is a different cancer to yours, I can relate to the grief you have for loss/decreased fertility which is something I still grapple with now. I had the option of freezing my eggs but I chose not to because I wanted to start chemo straight away - I had just finished my period so it meant putting chemo on hold for a month to complete the egg freezing process. I sometimes regret the decision I made but I am slowly coming to terms with it. I know how tough it is to go through cancer as a young person so please feel free to PM me if you want to chat. X
0 Kudos
HappyDragon
Occasional Contributor

Dear jesigirl87 what an awful thing to have to deal with at such a young age - I am pleased you have a good support unit. I am 64 and think that even at my age I am way too young to have this insidious disease LOL. You have every right to feel like you do - it doesn't matter how much worse others are doing it, this IS about you my friend. Do not feel guilty about any of your emotions - from my experience (though no 2 people are the same) we have good days and bad days, I just did what my body told me to do - if tired rest, if you are sad don't feel guilty scream,shout, cry if you feel like it. But try and stay positive - talk to your care team about what options are about having children I am sorry I don't have any suggestions about that and cannot even imagine how hard this is for you. Healing hugs and positive thoughts coming your way☺
Em93
Visitor

Hi Jess, I was diagnosed with uterine cancer almost four months ago. I also have an amazing support and I was lucky enough to have a child six years ago but I do understand how you feel. As lucky as I am to have brothers and a partner who are there for me whenever I need them I still feel completely alone and struggle to get through a day without breaking down. I do know I am lucky enough to already have a child and for my cancer not to be too advanced but it is still hard to accept that I will never be able to give my partner a child apart from the one I already have. I am only 23 years old so the diagnosis was very shocking. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.