Pancreatic cancer

Md
Occasional Contributor

Pancreatic cancer

Hello everyone,

My Mum has been diagnosed with PC just recently. The doctors have advised not to go through Chemo treatment as there will no hope for this cancer to be removed. She is 70 years old and living in Syria in conflict zone so I'm not sure if the doctors advice is right as the medical infrastructure have been affected by the war and I'm my self going through a tragic time because I have seen my mum for seven years- living in the UK as a refugee and no hope to see my Mum except if I manage to take her to Turkey for treatment. For those who can help by suggesting any ideas where to start please advise me. She is still ok eating and drinking with occasional vomiting. 

23 REPLIES 23
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Pancreatic cancer

Hello @Md, how is your Mum doing?

It must be incredibly difficult for you being in a different country for her, let alone her being in a conflict zone as well Smiley Sad

Most of the resources I am going to suggest are Australian but they will give you a good understanding of pancreatic cancer and perhaps some things you can look at...

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

Md
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kate, 

Thank you for your comment and asking about my Mum.

She is ok actually, no pain so far but skin turned yellow. She has had a Stent in hope to reduce the symptoms. We are working now on to have her undergo a surgery called Whipple. 

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Hi @Md,

I am glad your Mum is doing ok.

I know one of our members @kj has had a whipple, they might be happy to answer some questions if you had any Smiley Happy

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

kj
Super Contributor

Hi Md

As Kate replied I have had a Whipple I also had a stent put in to help before Whipple Surgery,If you have any questions please ask me .

Md
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for commenting. Iam glad that you have has your Whipple successfully. 

Actually I was wondering why the doctor put a Stent for my Mum when a Whipple is going to happen so if you had the same that means the right thing hopefully. 

Could you please where have you had your Whipple? And in what stage the tumour was at that time? Is it a good sign for my Mum She no pain yet related to the cancer but of course has the symptoms? How long did it take you to improve the symptoms after Stent then you had the Whipple?

Thank you very much in advance. 

Md
Occasional Contributor

Thanks alot Kate. I just asked I'm some questions hoping he can get back soon. 

Cheers 

kj
Super Contributor

Md

The stent was put in for me as my tumor at the head of my pancreas was blocking my bile duct causing pain,jaundice,no appetite diareah and fatigue fevers .After the stent about a week later I felt better and had Whipple surgery a few weeks later as my general health improved .Anytime you have a Whipple means you have a better chance of survival ,compared to someone who isn’t eligible for the surgery .The tumor measured 3 cm.As to your Mum having no pain that can happen It unfortunately has no specific meaning for her ,but It’s good that she was diagnosed early and surgery is happening for her.

I had my surgery in a western suburbs public hospital of Melbourne,Victoria I can’t speak highly enough of my Surgeons and the nursing team. The earlier your Mum gets out of bed after surgery the quicker her recovery will happen,I was talking to my Surgeon a few months ago about Whipple surgery he said there has been advances since my surgery,with less pain a vertical cut compared to horizontal which is better,and a quicker recovery as long as the patient does what’s required.

Dont hesitate to ask any questions if I can answer I will ,I am into my ninth year of survival.Best wishes to your Mum and yourself.

0 Kudos
Md
Occasional Contributor

Good to hear you are improved after surgery. 

The doctor has advised us to have the Stent put in then he will carry another MRI to confirm the operation to be done. My mum tuomor is measured 5 CM. Iam worried now that this size of tumour not eligible for surgery. 

Thank you 

Md
Occasional Contributor

My mum's tumour also is on the head of pancreas but with less symptoms compared to tour case. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.