Prostate Cancer options

JB729
Occasional Contributor

Prostate Cancer options

Hi,

I am 37 years old and had an MRI two weeks ago which showed two legions one 2.2cm(which im told is really large) and one .7cm. The are on both sides of the Apex Peripheral Zone which I know is not good to have on both sides. The MRI radiologist reported them PI-RADS 4 - High (clinically significant cancer is likely to be present). I have all the usual symptoms  of prostate cancer so I am going crazy waiting for the full prognosis. I hope it is ok to post on here without having 100% proof I have cancer or what stage it is at. I really need the support though as I have no where else to turn as I have not told anyone. 

I had a fusion biopsy yesterday to confirm what the MRI has reported. I have an appointment with my surgeon at 515pm tomorrow and apart from going through every emotion possible I am trying to keep a level head while googling everything possible. I have two young boys 3 and 18 months with another on the way so I want to make sure I have every base covered before my meeting tomorrow. When I was first told the results of the MRI my brain turned off and I spent the next 10 minutes I was in there trying to fight back the tears. I want tomorrow to be different.

My question is has anyone gone through prostate cancer on here that could provide me with a list of questions I can ask him while I take in the prognosis. Or if anyone can share alternative therapy that has worked for them.

Thanking you in advance and sorry for the rant....

23 REPLIES 23
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Prostate Cancer options

Hi JB729,

I am very sorry to hear about the diagnosis.

I haven't had prostate cancer, but I've posted up some links to some information on prostate cancer. Perhaps these might help prepare you for questions to ask.

https://www.cancer.org.au/about-cancer/types-of-cancer/prostate-cancer/

https://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/prostate-cancer/questions-ask-health-care-team

Best of luck!

-sch

JB729
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your help. The second link was exactly what I needed.

Thank you

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Great. Glad to hear it.

Please let me know how it goes.

-sch

JB729
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Sch.

Got some good news considering what I could have been looking at and the surgeon recommended active surveillance for next 6 months. 

The links you sent made such a difference for me at the time and I cant thank you enough from the bottom of my heart.  I really appreciate your help.

Wish you all the best!

sch
Super Contributor

Hi JB729,

We're just a bunch of folks who have been in similar situations to you and therefore have some idea of what you are going through and what you need.

You're more than welcome.

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

First of all, you never have to apologize on this site.  We are all here to help and support each other.  I am on this site bc my husband has been diagnosed with appendix cancer that has metastasized.  I am sending you and your family tons of prayers.  It ok to be scared and of course your family.  My uncle had prostate cancer and did extremely well with treatment.  I also believe strongly, that a second set of ears is always best.  Write things down.  My husband has never gone to an appointment by himself.  Either my daughter or myself or the three of us go.  Mostly my husband and myself.  But things that you don’t hear they will.  Please keep us posted on how you are doing.  I didn’t see your first name but please know that you and your beautiful family are in my thoughts and prayers.  If you are told you do have cancer, ask what’s next.  How long? What the treatment plan will be, or consist of.  I will tell you this, when my husband was in the steroid pills, bc they gave him steroids thru IV also, which is to help with nausea.  But the pills were tearing us apart.  He was so mean that I wanted to run.  Once the nurse and dr found out they took him off, and he was a new man.  By no means if they want to put you on them, take them.  But please listen to those around you.  If they are telling you your mean, listen bc they are the ones that are helping and loving you.  God bless and will be praying for positive results.  
Traci Mahar

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

That is great news!  Stay positive and enjoy and love your family.  Happy Holidays to you and yours.

Traci Mahar

0 Kudos
JB729
Occasional Contributor

Hey Traci,

Thank you so much for your kind words. This forum really helped me and I appreciate all the support everyone has given me. I am sorry top hear about your husband and uncle and I too are sending you and your family tons of prayers and love. Its such a terrible thing to go through and the people around you make all the difference.

I have the waiting game now  with more tests in the new year. I have stopped being a google doctor and started my attention on self healing techniques with meditation and podcasts leading the way. Its been a huge wake up call however I am trying to see the positives and move my attention to changing my lifestyle as it had become really unhealthy.

Im wishing everyone on here a Merry Christmas and lots of love and healing in the new year. I hope everyone gets the news they are hoping for.

Thanks again

Traci-Renee
Frequent Contributor

Hi JB729, 

I am wishing you the best for the New Year!

Looking things up on google or anywhere is never recommended.  It can actually scare the crap out of you.  So I’m glad your not going to continue your google search anymore.  Lol. Well stay in touch and if you need to vent or talk we are always hear to lend a helping ear.  Thank you for your kind words regarding my husband.  His last chemo is Christmas and then his Hipec surgery is scheduled January 15th, 2020.  I’m scared but, well but nothing I’m just plain out scared.  Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and a Very Happy Healthy New Year

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.