Re: chemo treatment

Mary60
Contributor

Hi everyone  just to let you know I just had my first chemo today, cause what I had my first horrible  side Effects. Just when I was just nearly finish my does I started to feel the change in my voice could not speak properly.  Then I had numbness around my mouth and a bit on my arm, the other effects I had was I could not breath trying grasp for air , so they called the emergency team in I think there was about 20 people came in. They put oxygen on me and they gave me something to easy my breathing.  I’m not to bad now , they will keep me overnight just to monitor me.   I was so scared it frightened me did not know what else was going to happen.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Cindi54
Contributor

Hi @Mary60 

So sorry that you had such a bad reaction to chemo, I really feel for you.

Try to be strong, your chemo team will work out an alternative for you.

Thinking of you

Cindi xx

0 Kudos
Mary60
Contributor

Tks @Cindi54  I’m trying to keep strong since I had my first chemo I’ve been just so tired my appetite is not to bad considering I’m only 45kg  and I’m afraid of loosing more weight, not have the energy for the chemo.  I wish I could speak to someone in my area in Orange.  I found if I talk to people I feel a bit better.  

0 Kudos
Cindi54
Contributor

Hi @Mary60 ,

Oh so sorry, the nausea is horrible isn't it, they should give you lots of anti nausea meds, tomorrow you should ring them and ask for some, tell them how your feeling, maybe sleeping pills would help in night time, I found them helpful.

You need to take the anti sick pills and lots of them.

They also help my appetite.

I find it takes about a week for side affects to get better after chemo session.

But most sides can be delt with, you need to reach out to your chemo nurse ( did they put you in touch with one?) try tomorrow maybe.

So sorry you're so miserable.

Sending you a big hug,

Cindi xx

0 Kudos
Mary60
Contributor

Tks @Cindi54  i do have a nurse from chemo I will ring up and let them know

Cindi54
Contributor

Hi again @Mary60 ,

I just remembered they should give you steroids for the nausea as well? did you have them?

I'm not too keen on them but I know a lady with lung cancer who finds them extremely helpful.

Just a thought?

Another thing to ask them

Cindi xx

😘

0 Kudos
Cindi54
Contributor

Hi @Mary60 ,

maybe you could ask your nurse if she knows of anyone else who is in the same boat as you around the Orange area?

Sorry I'm in Sydney.

xx

0 Kudos
Ashley_ccnsw
Cancer Council Team

Hi Mary60,

The side effects sound really intense for you. I'm sorry you've had these reactions.

If you need any additional information to help you manage and understand side effects you can always ring our 13 11 20 line to speak to one of our cancer nurses/social workers to get more information. We also have a number of booklets with relevant information around this as well which they can send you.

Wishing you all the best.

Ashley

CCNSW

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.