Rectal bleeding 10 days after surgery- Please advise

StayPositive
Occasional Contributor

Rectal bleeding 10 days after surgery- Please advise

Hi All, 

I went through a surgery 10 days ago and got my sigmoid colon removed (high anterior resection). I thought I was recovering well. I had some blood in the stool for the first couple of days and none after that. Since yesterday I am spotting some traces of fresh blood on my tissue. I am feeling worried. This happening in the weekend is very unhelpful for contacting my surgery team. Is it common? Should I go to emergency?

Please advise.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Re: Rectal bleeding 10 days after surgery- Please advise

Hi,

I'm a patient, not a medical professional.

Get it checked out as soon as you can. My post is a little late since the weekend has now passed, but seek a doctor's advice. We are cancer patients. Time is not our friend. I don't think there is a time when you shouldn't be fighting.

All the best.

sch
Super Contributor

Hi StayPositive,

I know this response is a bit late. But if you are concerned about some aspect of your recovery so soon after surgery, I would just visit emergency.  Let them make the determination on whether you need further treatment.

Think of it this way. Going to the hostpital sooner rather than later may save everyone time and money later on.

-sch

StayPositive
Occasional Contributor

Hello Phil and sch,

Thanks for your replies. It was a very anxious time but it is all over now. I have no more bleeding. I went to my GP and also called the cancer Council helpline. I found out that traces of blood was normal but if significant bleeding occurs, with pain, I must visit emergency. I was also able to ask the surgeon through the nurses- a bit later in the week. Same reply. I increased the painkillers which helped in opening and emptying the bowel and hence less frequent toilet visits. Less toilet visits meant less straining and abrasion on the wound and hence reduced bleeding. Gradually it disappeared in about a week.

I thought my experience might be beneficial to others.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.