Stomach / Gastric Cancer

RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Stomach / Gastric Cancer

Hi Col,

Sorry to heat that you are another to join our club. 

I do drink the occasional beer beer and wine, but don’t drink stout or red wine. The trick for me is to have about 30 minute break after drinking before I start eating. Further, I tend not to drink anything for about 2 hours after eating. 

Note ted that alcohol starts to have an effect within about 5 minutes from consumption given that there is no stomach to hold it before releasing it to the small intestine. 

Now about that that pork belly - I love the taste, but the pork fat seems to cause me significant grief. Consequently, I tend to give it a miss these days. :sad:

Another food that causes nausea and cramping is raw onion. Cooked is fine, but raw can see me walking the streets for hours trying to vomit it up or wait for it to progress through until the discomfort settles. 

Other than that, very little I’ll-effects from my total gastrectomy. 

I hope that all goes well for you and that you have a rapid recovery. 

Hugs to you and those supporting you. 

RJG

RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi Eugene,

Thanks for the referral to help for tinnitus. 

I have leant to ignore it most of the time. I don’t let it interfere with getting to sleep, but it is a nuisance when there is a lot of background noise (eg, restaurant or party setting).

At some point I will start thinking about hearing aids. 

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi Madass,

Oops, sorry but only saw your post just now. 

If if something doesn’t seem quite right , DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. 

Better to find that that you have haemorrhoids sooner than bowel cancer later. 

So if you haven’t done so already, go and see your doctor ASAP. 

I do hope that it is nothing serious. 

Best wishes,

Rick

0 Kudos
Stonechairshelf
New Contributor

Hi

many thanks for your reply. Maybe I might give the belly pork a miss too. Having my PET scan on Friday then visit surgeon on 2nd August to discuss PET results (hopefully no spread) and when surgery will be. I have been on a nasal feeding tube into the small bowel for 2 months now so am used to it but will be glad when it’s removed. Was your feeding tube through your nose or something different? I haven’t been able to east a meal for months now only small bits of things, can’t even drink water so that’s why I had to have feeding tube put in. Can’t wait to be able to enjoy some food again.

once again thanks and appreciate your best wishes

Col

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi Col,

Sorry, I missed the questions in your last post. I was looking for a way to send you my best wishes for your op in Sept and found that I had left you dangling...

I was a free spirit right up to my op. That is, my condition was caught so early and it wasn't interfering with my digestion that I didn't have any enteral feeding tubes until after the op. And then the tube was set up through the left side of my belly straight into the small intestine.

I managed to get my consumption up while in hospital (6 days from memory) such that I didn't need to use it when I got home. I did still need to flush it every 6 hours or so (again from memory) for a few weeks when I went back to see the surgeon. The sutures used to attach it to the intestine are dissolving and the tube eventually just pulls straight out.

Food wise, things do get back to moderately normal (per my blog) fairly quickly (months not years) after the op.

Best wishes and man-hug to you for your op.

Rick

0 Kudos
Stonechairshelf
New Contributor

Hi Rick

Thanks for your reply and the man hug! You help put a positive aspect on the whole thing and you’ve got a sense of humour about it which is what’s needed I think. On the countdown now so hopefully I will have a positive outcome to it. Glad you are doing so well from your op.

Col

0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Madass

I recommend going to a GP and tell them you are concerned about cancer and ask for a colonoscopy. If they don't send you, demand it or find another GP. The sooner you catch cancer, the less treatment you'll need.

I was under the impression that blood tests will detect bowel cancer and I'd been getting regular blood tests for several years to keep it in check. As it turns out, if you detect in your blood, it's no longer just bowel cancer. Colonoscopies don't hurt and are life saving.

A number of cancers will slip through blood tests including anal cancer. Check your dignity at the door and do what you must. Timing really matters.

I hope you've already had a check up and it was good news. Don't be afraid to come back to this site and share your experience, even if it is a positive outcome. People here like happy ending stories too.

All the best

Phil

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.