Trophoblastic tumour

Nicola1
New Contributor

Trophoblastic tumour

I have a trophoblastic tumour and wanted to share my experience in case anyone else has encountered this as it seems to be quite rare. The only reason I have this is because of a failed pregnancy! I was absolutely gobsmacked to learn after my miscarriage that abnormal cells would carry on growing in the womb. In my case its been six months since the abnormal / expired fetus (or what should have been a fetus - it was actually just a mass of cells) was removed and I am still having weekly blood tests to check on the progress of this growth. In my case two sperms fertilised one egg (FYI - that does not make twins, it just makes a mess) and this has led to this cell mutation in my womb. My GP said "its not cancer but it behaves like a cancer". I have now been refereed to an oncologist to see if its spread to other parts of my body and if I need a low dose of chemo to kill off these abnormal cells so I can get on with my life. FYI you are not allowed to get pregnant again until you have the all clear. Anyway I was initially quite horrified that this could happen at all - I just wanted to have a baby and now I have a tumour!!! WTF! I wanted to share this with other women going through it - you are not alone. It seems miscarriage is talked about a lot more these days but this is NOT talked about at all. I had never met someone with this diagnosis and there is very little info online about it too. There is light at the end of the tunnel as apparently chemo works very well as a treatment.

2 REPLIES 2
Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Re: Trophoblastic tumour

Hi Nicola,

That must be incredibly rare.  I've never heard of it at all.  Thank you for sharing your story and I'm so terribly sorry this happened to you.  Hopefully, with treatment you will be able to get the all clear and live a happy and long life.  I wish you well.  Good luck.

Nicola1
New Contributor

Re: Trophoblastic tumour

Thanks so much for the reply. I went to see the oncologist at Lifehouse in Sydney and there were 4 other women in the waiting room all with the same thing as me so it must be more common than I thought - just not spoken about.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.