Waiting for Thyroid Cancer diagnosis...

Commediadel8
New Contributor

Waiting for Thyroid Cancer diagnosis...

Hi there, I feel a bit strange posting this message! I am a 43 yr old mother of two adult children and am currently waiting for confirmation of a diagnosis of Thyroid Cancer. So far I have gotten some highly suspicious ultrasound results but the FNA biopsy did not yield enough tissue for a result. I thought that would mean a repeat biopsy but the Drs and Surgeon are talking about removing half my thyroid anyway due to the nature of the ultra sound findings and then they can confirm if it's cancer and what we do from there! I have been getting short and uninformative answers to my questions from my local surgeon and felt really uncomfortable with that so am head off this week to The City to get a second opinion... I have read just about everything there is on thyroid cancer and everything suggests that it is usually a non aggressive and highly treatable form of cancer, but I have to say that isn't helping me too much at the moment! It has been a few weeks since all this began but as the days crawl by I'm finding that I'm coping less well. The not knowing is really hard and being upbeat for family and friends and keeping that "mums in control face"!in place is starting to take its toll. I've been telling them all I'm not really worried about everything, but to be honest I'm starting to get scared about the op, all the unknowns and I feel less together everyday! Is this normal? Any tips for staying positive while waiting for news? I'm hoping that all this worry is for nothing but I just have a feeing in my gut that it won't be! Anyway, thanks for listening and thanks for all the inspiringly honest posts I have read here so far. I'll go back to waiting now 🙂
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Waiting for Thyroid Cancer diagnosis...

I remember waiting for my husband's diagnoses- I think in some ways the waiting is the hardest part. At least once you have the diagnosis you know what you're dealing with, and what it isn't. Be assured that what you're feeling is(unfortunately) quite normal. It does suck, and we're here to be with you while you wait. love Emily. xx
0 Kudos
Emms
New Contributor

Hi there Just read your story, I joined this forum because of my mother currently going through cancer problems. However, my dad had thyroid cancer about 4 yeas back (he turns 60 this year), I actually got the news of him getting cancer the same day my grandmother died, suffice to say it was a pretty rubbish day that day! Anyways he had an operation to remove his entire thyroid, He went in to the hosptial the morning of the operation and the next day he was up and about and feeling realy happy! He went home after that and that was that. He was tired & a little off for a couple days after but that was it. I think a few months later he had to go have some radiation treatment, which meant sitting in a room for 3 days while he was "radiated". He takes tablets every night to perform the job that the thyroid used to do and he is cured of it now. I think they say this is the "best cancer" if there is such a thing, in that it has one of the highest cure/recovery rates etc etc. Hopefully you don't have to wait too much longer to find out your results. And hopefully they say you don't have it. Good Luck Emms.
0 Kudos
Commediadel8
New Contributor

Thanks Emma! Have surgery on Wednesday where they will remove half my thyroid, test the lumps while I'm in theatre and then remove the rest if it is cancer! I'm feeling pretty apprehensive and am really over the waiting but at least we are on the home stretch now! This time next week we will know either way I guess!
0 Kudos
Commediadel8
New Contributor

Re: not waiting any more

Had surgery last night! Went under expecting a partial Thyroidectomy but woke up with a total and a diagnosis of cancer! Everyone tells me this is a good cancer and my prognosis is excellent! Part of my brain gets that and I'm really gratefull but part of me is still Trying to get my head around having cancer at all! Anyone else been through this paradox of emotions? Also I have to have iodine radiation in 6-8 weeks and am a bit nervous about that and would love to hear from others who have been there!!
0 Kudos
Emms
New Contributor

This sounds exactly like what my dad had - his entire thyroid taken out and he had to have the iodine radiation afterwards where he went to Brisbane and sat in a room for 3 days. (we couldn't visit him coz we might get radiated too) Since then he has just had to take pills to replace whatever the thyroid does which he takes every night before he goes to bed. And he is fine now. I think definitely be grateful, if you had surgery last night and are well enough to make a post on the forum then you are doing extremely well. Good luck with the Radiation treatment!
0 Kudos
yggdrasil
New Contributor

Hello Commediadel8, welcome to a new world post TT. I hope you are feeling okay, all things considered. Why type of thyca do you have? Overall, you'll find a lot of people with helpful "thyroid" advice, which is quite different when you have no thyroid at all. If you delver further online, don't ever call this horrible thing "the good cancer", you'll be shot down in flames. Most people have follicular or papillary, and I have a rarer form, so I hope you have one of the first two if one "has to" have one. Your body is going to undergo a huge shock without the powderhouse the thyroid gland was, and I urge you to get in contact with other Thyca sites, such as http://www.inspire.com/groups/thyca-thyroid-cancer-survivors-association, which has a load of people who are knowledgeable about RAI (which is probably down the track for you if you have one of those kinds of thyca). You've got to learn how to run your new body, and very, very people find it really easy. You will probably need loads more info than you have now, but for now, rest and allow yourself exhaustion, forgetfulness and fatigue, just take some time to heal. I hope you have a positive prognosis 🙂
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.