mammograms and ultrasounds

joanner
New Contributor

mammograms and ultrasounds

hi there ,my names joanne , i am 41 years of age, married with three children. For the past few months i wasnt sure if i had a lump in the left breast or not. Somedays i would feel it, other times i didnt think i could. as strange as it sounds, of a night time i could feel it while during the day i wasnt sure. On monday 6th feb 2012 i finally found the courage to go see my gp. But she couldnt confirm if i had a lump or didnt but i sent for a mammagram ,ultrasound and biopsy(theses things are what the doctor had put on my referal letter). i earliest i could get in was on Thursday 16th feb, just the waiting and the not knowing have been the hardest. I think i would have felt better if i had of been told from my doctor either yes i think you have a lump or no i dont think so. But neither was said. Anyway i had my mammogram on the thursday, then had the ultrasound not long after. im hopeing it is all good news as no mention of a biopsy was said let alone done. i was told to go see my doctor for my results. nothing was said as if a lump was or not found but on watching the ultrasound the words 4cm lump long and lump trans. i do not know what this means.i have booked myself to see my doctor tomorrow. i was just curious to know if a lump was found why was a biopsy not mentioned? im a strong person and have been trying very hard to stay positive as i have read that 80%of breast lumps are usually not cancerous. i do not have a history of breast cancer. i guess tomorrow i will have the answer i have been waiting for. i can fully understand how hard it is not to worry. i just wondered if anyone has had a mammogram and ultrasound ,and not given a biopsy straight away? because im thinking if it was bad news then theyd do a biopsy straight away right? reading the 4cm lump long has me in mixed emotions. cheers jo
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
pimbok
Contributor

Re: mammograms and ultrasounds

Hi Jo, You poor thing. I can't answer any of your questions but I know waiting is pure hell. Please let us know how you get on tomorrow? Good luck with it all. You're really in our thoughts and prayers. Kim
0 Kudos
joanner
New Contributor

thanks kim, i will find out tomorrow,and hopefully get some reasurance with a good result. till then i have to keep my mind busy and try and keep the bad thoughts out. all will be good. cheers jo
0 Kudos
Lioness
New Contributor

Hi Jo What your feeling is natural, but I can tell you that I have had a number of Mammograms and Ultrasounds resulting in biopsys and they have turned out to be cysts (some of them quite large) that just need draining and the content was not cancerous. The good thing is that you have taken the first step by going to the Doctor. I wish you all the best for tomorrow. Lioness
0 Kudos
joanner
New Contributor

just letting you all know that my results have all came back good, i still have concerns to why i can feel a lump yet it didnt show up, but have been told it is proberly muscle. and im just to keep up with the once a month check ups and go back if any change. cheers jo
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I was sent for my first mammogram at age 45 just because I was starting menopause .After the mammogram they did an ultrasound straight away because they said at that young age the breast tissue is best checked by an ultrasound. Sometime in my thirties a doctor checked me over and said sometimes it can feel "ropey" at certain times of the month. This may explain why you felt a lump only sometimes.
0 Kudos
casper57

Thw waiting is the worst part. I had breast lump removed by surgery in 1982 and it was benign fatty tissue. I had little time to think if it was the owrst cause it was discovered and operated on in 3 days. 2 weeks for the results...long wait. They reecently ..3 weeks ago after doing my routine mammogram every two years I got called back and went through more testing, ultraosunds and biopsy.....results took a week from biopsy and it is positive to breast cancer. the same week my sister found a lump and had it checked and it turned out to be a cyst. My mother was diagnosed three years ago and has been through chemo, and radiation. I am now waiting for my surgery and hoping that is all i need. I have caught two types of cancer in very early stages....one low grade and one high. With all this going on I still cant beleive I have cancer and keep thinking somoen has got it wrong...Ive read report so many times and checked the name. Its my report. Hope i can maintian my optimism and stay positive. All i can say ...is check and have the mammograms. They do find things and not all bad. The waiting is so hard and stressful. I have had two weeks with little sleep xxxx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.