new need advice

Pauline
New Contributor

new need advice

Hello, My name is Pauline. I am from Tasmania Australia. I am new to this. I have recently had a health scare. I found a lump in my breast. I went to the doctor and was sent for tests. I had a biopsy of bith breasts as there were two supicious lumps there. It turns out they were ok. Just now I am worried as my family history is strong with breast cancer. Both grandmothers and two aunts from my mothers side died from this. Not sure what to do thinking of asking for a genetic test. Any advice? I am 44 years old. Thanks for your help.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Mystik73
Occasional Contributor

Re: new need advice

Hi Pauline , Keep up with regualar breast screening and checking, i would get genetic testing done to be on safe side , it will give an indication on your statistics of developing breast cancer etc My mum recently was diagnosed with non invasive breast cancer and has had 2 surgerys and currently doing radiation therapy. It is quiet a concern ive lost most of my family members to cancer and im scared of whats to come also. My appointment is in 2 weeks to get reffered to the right places for checking and testing. I havnt offered much but just know if you need to talk at all im here :) Mystik73
0 Kudos
Terrafirma
Contributor

Re: new need advice

Hi Pauline, Three diagnoses of breast cancer in close relatives on your mother's side suggests a substantial probability that there is an inherited breast cancer gene on her side of your family. If there is, there's a fifty percent (one in two) chance you've inherited it. There's a lot of good reading on the internet about inherited breast cancer and genetic testing. My suggestion would be to quietly explore the information and discussions at the sites I've given links to below. That will put you in a much better position to make a decision about whether to go see a genetic counselor, and to have an informed discussion with the counselor if you decide to see one. I'd be surprised if they don't suggest genetic testing if that's what you want to do. Three websites where you can find very good articles and discussion about hereditary breast cancer and genetic testing are Breastcancer.org at www.breastcancer.org, the FORCE website www.facingourrisk.org, and the National Cancer Institute (USA) website www.cancer.gov. Here's how to find the info on each site. On the Breastcancer.org website, try this direct link www.breastcancer.org/risk/factors/genetics.jsp or go to their home page at www.breastcancer.org and click on the link 'Breast Cancer Risk Factors' (it's under the heading 'Lower Your Risk'), and then look at the links on the left side of the new page to see the range of topics covered. On the FORCE website, click on the link "Information and Research" on their home page www.facingourrisk.org where you will find links to a variety of good information. On the National Cancer Institute website, go to the Breast Cancer: Prevention, Genetics, Causes page at www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/prevention-genetics-causes/breast and the Cancer Genetics gateway page at www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/prevention-genetics-causes/genetics and scroll down the pages to find links to their articles. Good luck if you get tested and good luck with your testing Mystik73 🙂 Cheers - Ed Http://bestcancersites.com/breast/
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.