Finally plucked up the courage to join

Lush
Occasional Contributor

Finally plucked up the courage to join

Hello All I am a Bowel Cancer survivor so to speak, as I have only been off the juice(chemo) for nearly six months(6 months of Zoloda and 3months of Folfox). I have had a Bowel resection and a liver resection and have been given the all clear so far. I am obviously looking like a patchwork quilt, I have hand and feet problems, joint pain and there was no slow trip to meno for me. I was an active 45 year old when my journey began, now I am a creaky 47 year old wanna be. I am participating in my sports but not the way I would like to! I have some amazing family and friends that I love dearly. I am a mum of 2, my son is 13 and my daughter is 11. It is plain to see from the blogs that Cancer messes with your head as well as your body! When I was on the juice I couldn't wait for day 10 when I had enough concentration to drive the car 2 blocks away to get the milk and bread. Lucky the locals didn't mind my slippers as I couldn't wear anything else. I struggle with stress and the need to get things done "my way" so I am told. Hubby and Kids say that I have spent the last few weeks barking orders at then. I am always tired and then I can't sleep! No wonder I am a little short with them! I have a great medical team that I am very greatful of but how do we ever get rid of the question of will it be back and how will I know? Thanks for you time. Lush
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Ron50
Contributor

Re: Finally plucked up the courage to join

Does it always come back, well not always,I have been ca free (of stage3c ,dukes c) for over 15 years.I asked my onc the "how do you know"question years ago. He just said if you get sick or get a pain and it gets better or goes away it probably is not ca. If It gradually gets worse and never improves come and see me and we will check it out. Good luck with your recovery..Ron.
0 Kudos
Lush
Occasional Contributor

Re: Finally plucked up the courage to join

Thanks Ron, it was great to hear that you are free of the curse and for such a long time. You know I went to physio the other day as I have a knee problem and after some tough exercise I woke at 3 am the next morning with massive pain in my shin and ankle, it was like my bone was being sawn up the middle. Physio said if it happens again he want me to go see my Dr. Nueropathy is no fun but since he changed me from Ice to heat I haven't experienced it again. It gives you a bit of a jult when medical professionals get concerned like that. I don't want to be worried about everything I feel in this messed up body. I guess its like the Australian Government say about terrorism- "Be Alert Not Alarmed"............. Thanks again for your words it helps to hear it from survivors not Doctors. Lush
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.