Webinar: What can I do to prevent a cancer recurrence?

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Webinar: What can I do to prevent a cancer recurrence?

appleprev.jpg

The topic for our Webinar was: Prevention in Survivorship – “What can I do to prevent a cancer recurrence?”

The panel members for this webinar were:

• Professor Janette Vardy, Medical Oncologist, Concord Cancer Centre
  • Anita Dessaix, Director, Cancer Prevention and Advocacy, Cancer Council NSW
  • Martyn Black, Cancer Survivor

We welcome you all to chat about things that came up in the webinar and how you think you could adopt some of the strategies provided into your everyday life.

More about this Webinar

Whilst more research is needed, current research does suggest that maintaining or adopting a healthy lifestyle can reduce the chance of your cancer coming back or a new cancer developing. A healthy lifestyle includes things such as eating a healthy diet, being physically active, maintaining a healthy body weight, improving your psychological wellbeing, protecting yourself from the sun, stopping smoking or cutting down on alcohol.

Some people who have had a cancer diagnosis may also experience an increased risk of other chronic health problems. Adopting a healthy lifestyle can also help prevent chronic health problems, such as heart disease or type 2 diabetes.

This webinar will look at prevention after your cancer treatment and will provide a range of practical strategies you can adopt to help to prevent your cancer coming back. Including regular health checks, adopting a healthy lifestyle, protecting yourself from the sun and more.

What do I need to do?

If you're not already a member of the Online Community, be sure to sign up beforehand - choose a nickname, not your full name! Once the webinar is over, come back here and sign in.

The chat here is text based, so no additional software is needed other than a web browser on your phone or computer. To keep up with the latest posts, just hit the refresh button on your browser as the page won't automatically update. As more people chat, page numbers will appear at the bottom of the page to help you jump to the next post in the conversation.

We'll be here as well to field any questions you might have. If you want to post during the chat, simply hit the Reply button on the post and post away. Everyone is welcome!

If you have any questions about how to use the Online Community, check out our Frequently Asked Questions or How do I? thread. If you're really stumped send us an email: onlinecommunity@nswcc.org.au

11 REPLIES 11
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Webinar: What can I do to prevent a cancer recurrence?

Evening all!

The webinar is roughly 45 minutes away, if you haven't already done so, you can register for it free online here.

@DeniceC here is your reminder about this evening Smiley Happy

For those that haven't been involved in something like this before. We're watching tonight's webinar, hosted by Cancer Council NSW and once the webinar has finished, we'll come back here to chat about it. You'll need to refresh your screens to see new replies, the same way you would any web page in your browsers.

Don't be afraid to jump on in and add to the discussion at any time, we're a friendly bunch here Smiley Very Happy

Cheers,

Kate

0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Hi everyone and welcome!

My name is Kate and I am the Online Community Manager with Cancer Council, working in the Peer Support team.

How did you find tonight's Webinar?

0 Kudos
flight
Contributor

Hi Kate. I found the information very helpful. Found a few new resources to go and check out.  I am interested in finding out if guidelines have been developed regarding breast cancer screening for young women post treatment of hodgkin's lymphoma. I am having difficulty finding information about this- it focuses on older women. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
flight
Contributor

Hi Kate. Lots of useful information tonight. I am trying to find information regarding breast cancer screening for young women post treatment for hodgkin's lymphoma. Are there treatment guidelines regarding this? Most of the information I have found targets older women
0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

I can see that there a few people logged in, how exciting! Smiley Happy

Please don't be afraid to post, just jump on in!

0 Kudos
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Here's some of the links that were shared during the Webinar tonight...

Do you have any others to add?

0 Kudos
Marjorie
Occasional Contributor

Did anyone else have problems with viewing the webinar tonight? All I could see was a few slides.

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Hey there @Marjorie!

Sorry to hear that, I could see both the video with the speakers and the slides. Did you try another browser out of interest?

Could you hear it at least?

0 Kudos
Marjorie
Occasional Contributor

Never thought of changing the browser!! No sound either. I did a test and everything was working fine on their test site.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.