Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle

Jules_68
Contributor

Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy lifestyle

Hi everyone, Im a 10mth survivor of cancer....I have been losing weight really well until depression and placed on antidepressants, I have put on 6kgs. Im ready to dump these bloody tablets... How do you keep motivated with exercise and eating small portions and stay full and healthy. I would like to know so I can draw on inspirations. Thanks Jules
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Motivation for losing weight and maintaining a healthy ...

This won't inspire . I have put on 5 kg in the time since diagnosis , 2 years next month. I can hardly believe it is that long. I eat too many carbs,do too little exercise and take medication that can cause increased appetite and weight gain. I always feel I can eat unless I am very busy . I am cutting down on the dosage that I take for neuropathy ,even if it means putting up with a bit more pain. I won't go too far though. Also I am probanly bored at times. Maybe this site and others ,e.g.Facebook, are filling this void. I will try to be more inspiring next time.
0 Kudos
Jules_68
Contributor

Thanks Silly, you are inspiring my dear. At least I know Im not alone when it comes to cancer, pain, weight, exercise. I too am filling the void with facebook and here at cc. Would reducing your pain meds make it more exhausting for you at the end of day battling pain? Im assuming you live in VIC, this is a shame, if you were in Brisbane I would be around to pick you up for a walk or swim, whatever your poison? I have also noticed you are very inspiring and compassionate to all people with your blogs, so maybe you are not aware, but you are inspiring, esp after all you have been through. Julesx
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi , Yes the weight gain is a problem for some of us. I lost 9 kilos due to surgery and a complete bowel shut down but then when I started chemo, the steroids meant that carbs were the poison of choice and the fatigue meant that just getting to the corner shop and back was huge. While others faded away(not that is ideal either) I'd rock up to the clinic each fortnight having successfully added a kilo. That was 4 years ago and as I am a stress eater, I am still struggling to take off the weight. I am back at full time teaching but I retire in July 2012. I am convinced that when my life settles down to a lower level of stress and my son has completed his HSC (he's not stressed!) then healthy life here I come. Hope that it isn't too late! I guess my message is not be too hard on yourselves. take it a step at a time. I truly believe that we all approach our diagnosis, treatment and recovery in a completely individual way. For some the completely health conscious diet with all of the appropriate exercise is right for them. For others it is merely managing from one day to the next and if a piece of toast allows you to manage the nausea, then so be it. I have managed to lose about 5-6 of the kilos that I put on and have about 10 to go to reach a "healthy" weight which I know is critical for bowel cancer. But I have learned that it has to be slow and steady. Take deep breaths and don't beat yourself up about the carbs! Take care, Samex
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I am not going to cut down the Lyrica if it drives me crazy or upsets me . I cut the dosage a day ago and in a few days I'll assess it. I live in Queensland, on the Gold Coast . I wish I lived close enough to you and 2 other Brisbane friends and I'd walk with all of you .I don't only want to lose weight to be healthier but to look better. I like being slim .I can't improve my face but should be able to improve my body. Part of the problem is I have become lazy and don't cook most of the meals for my husband and me. He likes his kind of food and cooking better than what I need to lose weight. He actually asked me to choose a W.W. recipe and he'd cook it for me. I am perfectly capable but he is trying to make me happy. That offer did surprise me but I think we will go back to taking turns like we did in the old days. I hope we all achieve our goal weight.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I went to W.Watchers last evening as I hadn't been for a month and I'd put on another 0.5 kg. I am a free lietime member but have to pay when 2 kg or more over my goal and I am 2.5 over. My real goal is 1 or 2 kg less than my official one . So am thinking about attending a water running class which a lady told us about at the meeting . She takes the class tonight.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Jules, I also had the opposite problem; the combination of chemo, surgery & radiotherapy dropped me down to a very unhealthy weight. However, I have noticed a couple things that hopefully may help. One, eating patterns are often a reflection of internal states. So, for me, when I am filled with drive, passion for life and purpose then my diet seems reflect this inner energy and I put on weight (good for me). That loss of motivation (called an over balance of Kapha in Ayurvedic medicine); not just in food, but often reflected in every thing we do, be it filling up our time with useless things or the pilling up of clutter in our room, is also connected to something deeper. However, if we can force ourselves to start to make changes on the outside they often reflect inside. So for me when I'm going through a lazy mood then making myself wake up early, do a yoga routine and being active through the day eventually counters the mood and after a couple days I'm back on track. Also another thing I've seen can be really helpful is slowing down eating and increasing your awareness. So only eat sitting down and aim to chew EVERY mouthful 10-20 times; you'll be surprised how much less you end up eating :-) Hope something here helps, Love & light. Astley
0 Kudos
Jules_68
Contributor

Hi Samex, Thanks for the message of hope and retiring in July 2012 sounds wonderful....Well I seem to have turned a corner and able to control and manage intake with food lately...will let you know how I go. Keep in touch with me and maybe your 10kgs that you need to put on will come form my 10kg to lose. Julesx
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I am not boasting but know all the things to do to lose weight .It's just a matter of practising what I know. Still it's good to get reminders now and again to get us back on track or to keep up the good work.
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

Hi Silly, Did you get to water running class? I am a regular & I find it both enjoyable and good exercise. I have been avoiding weighing myself but I finally did and found I've put on 4kg. My plan this week involves writing down everything I eat. Then I can see what I should cut back on. Also, the act of writing it down helps me not eat just because I'm bored.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.