National Cancer Survivors Day

SILLY
Super Contributor

National Cancer Survivors Day

On Sunday 5th June will be attending the inaugural Princess Alexandra Hospital National Cancer Survivors Day.This is in Brisbane Aand I was invited because that's where I had my IMRT. I had not heard of this day before. The purpose is to recognise and acknowledge the contributions of families,friends,healthcare providers and those involved in cancer research. It is also to honour the strenghth and courage of people living with a history of cancer. I will tell about it next week.Has anyone attended such an event in their area?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: National Cancer Survivors Day

First I've heard about it. Does anyone know of anything similar except for the Survivors lap at Relay for Life in Sydney? Will be interested to hear yur thoughts Silly. S
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I got an invite from the hospital where I had my radiation. I looked it up on the net and found some info ,not sure about Sydney.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

If you google it there may be information about it in your area but of course it will now be for next year.At our event we had lunch,raffles ,speeches and free lawn bowls. We could wander around and mingle. The speeches were from an oncology nurse,a radiologist/oncologist,a research doctor ,a patient and head of fund raising,if I remember correctly.I actually became impatient when the patient was talking so I went for a little walk over to some stalls selling things. He was an old man whose story was so long because he kept embellishing every part of it with too many asides.The other speeches were interesting and informative. Never having played bowls before I was not very good but enjoyed it immensely. I think there will be more events in Australia as time goes on. It has been going in the USA for many years and it is celebrated in other countries too.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.