Need help

Duey
New Contributor

Need help

At age 44 I was diagnosed at stage 3 colon cancer in 4 th  December 2017. That day was turn my life upside down I wish I had known then what I know now and I do wish I had understood that a colonoscopy is the ONLY way to rule out colon cancer. Oh how different life would be if we all had those chances to go back and take different paths.

Six months of chemo, three emergency hospitalizations for chemo related issues, still I am recovering with lots of financial problems with three little beautiful kids and my lovely wife.

I am not sure what lays ahead but have every faith that the battle has been won and is behind me.  I was so sick from chemo that there is no way any cancer cells survived that!

Currently, I need to share my story to turn this journey into one of positive attitude.  After removed 30 cm colon with 5 cm malignant, my bowel habit has totally changed. I have to go to the toilet every 2-3 hours in a day time with other issues. Since December 2017 I haven’t been to work due to a range of issues, mainly been uncomfortable with my toileting routine. With a great frustration and the continuously been stress with financial difficulties I have decided to start a small business to survive with my family.

Therefore, I recently completed a course to become a Clean Energy Council accredited designer for installing solar systems and begun a business with solar installation in residential area in Queensland. 

3 REPLIES 3
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Need help

Thanks for sharing your story Duey Smiley Happy

All the best with your business!

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi Duey,

It is great to hear that you have found a way to deal with your physical condition and get on with your life.

I am also looking for a change in career so that I can do most of my work from home - we live on a farm which is about 85 km from my current workplace. The trouble is finding work that will pay all the bills. At least I am permitted to work from home on Wednesdays - this breaks up the working week and saves me 2.5 hours of commute.

So good on you!

Best wishes,

Rick

0 Kudos
Duey
New Contributor

Thank you very much. 

Duey 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.