Oroxine

AmandaC
Contributor

Oroxine

Hey guys, Just thought I would put this out there its a bone of contention with me right now and I thought...you never know maybe others suffer the same rediculousness I do. I had thyroid cancer, I have had a near total thyroidectomy and RAI to make sure any thyroid tissue left is dead...yet I still have to go to the doctor each and every time I need oroxine. Seriously I know the medical profession is making neough money without making me pay for an appoinment just to get my life saving and altering medication. I take it every day, I will never be able to not take it. Its not like I will wake up tomorrow and my thyroid will have magically grown back...I JUST DON'T GET IT! Its no wonder so many of us end up broke form medical expenses. My girlfirend is a diabetci not only does she have a permanent script but she also gets discounts on her medication 😮 they are both endocrine issues...both are vital life saving medications...WTF!!!! Sorry just had to get that off my chest as I have just been trying to book an appointment with DR which I can't get for 3 weeks and will run out of oroxine before then and I thought to myself this is rediculous.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Oroxine

Hi Amanda C Yes this is one that annoys me!! I have a number of co-morbidities that my cancer treatment has not helped, so I am currently on eight medications. It is part of my life. Some come with 30 in a pack, some 25, some 90 and some 200, so my prescriptions run out at different times. Will my GP write a prescription without seeing me? No way. It is not as if I don't see him fairly regularly as it is. What really annoyed me recently was that as part of a fun job I do as a volunteer I needed a medical examination by the organisations medical adviser. It wasn't going to cost me anything, but I needed information about any recent blood tests, medications etc. from my own GP. So I rang the clinic and asked if he would mind sending the organisations medical bloke a letter. when I next went to see my GP, the receptionist told me I owed them money and would I please pay it NOW! $12 for writing a letter to another doctor!!! So yes, we do get a raw deal sometimes. What can we do about it? Well change GP - actually easier said than done. Mine is a very good GP and we have attended that practice for 30 years now, so there is a lot of history there, which every now and then needs to be delved into. Then if you do change your practice who is to say that the new practice won't change and fall into bad habits. Write to Medicare? Useful but it will nly bring about change if they figure that there is some sort of fraud going on. Confront your GP? There are nice ways to do this. Explain the situation you are in, that you feel that you are hard done by and you would like a change of their practice. Maybe put it in writing in a polite letter first and say that you would like to discuss this at your next meeting. It might work. My solution is to occasionally go to another person in the practice. It keep to senior one, whom I see, on his toes. Cheers Sailor You can't cross the sea merely by standing and staring at the water. Rabindranath Tagore
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Amanda, this is one thing i must be particulary lucky with, i am on 5 differnt tablets each day, 3 are prescription. I am really grateful to my doctor as if i run out he will write me a scipt and it will be ready at lunch time or the next day, i just pay $10.00 and grab it at the counter, which suits me fine as i dont have to sit and wait. I have been pretty lucky with him as when i got really sick and had about 3-5 infections, all my levels just dropped to dangerous level he rund me and even offered to bring me the scipt, he is truly great. This is one thing i dont think i would put up with, i mean , waiting to get meds, as im in the same boat as you and i know how dangerous it can be not to get our meds into our system as we rely on the thyroid meds. I used to joke that one day ill wake up and my thyroid would be back but i know thats not gonna happen as the lost the lost, lobes, glands, whatever is in your neck, they took the lot... I would be ringing the doctors and telling them you want an appt before your meds run out or a script, let me know how you get on, take care
0 Kudos
lizyole
Occasional Contributor

Hi Amanda, I would shop around for another doctor, I have more than one, one I have to wait to see one I get scripts off at a moments notice who also bulk bills, bonus !! I could not do it if I didn't have more than one, also if one of them goes away on holiday you are still alright let me know how you get on. Also on the oroxine I don't know why we have to have a script it is silly.
0 Kudos
Danny
New Contributor

I too have had my thyroid removed and have type 2 diabetes. So I too have to take a cocktail of medication. And off course Oroxine has to be take by its self. I found this quite difficult to remember to take them. The local pharmacist suggested the webster packs. I have found these so helpful! They last a month. The chemist give me a list of which medications are low and and need a new Script.
0 Kudos
AmandaC
Contributor

Danny was your thyroid removed because of goitre or cancer? man I can only imagine the med reigime you must be on and how much does it suck about oroxine needing to be taken alone and at opposite ends of the day from most other meds. I really just get sick of being charged $65 for a script because the doctor wants to see me, really its not like I am suddenly not going to need the oroxine. I believe its all about them making more money, I called toady and could not even get in to see the doctor for the script 😮 I am going to call tomorrow and ask the Dr to fax a script to the chemist she gets enough money out of me and i should not have to wait. What is the webster pack?
0 Kudos
Danny
New Contributor

Hi Amanda C It was through my treatment of Leukemia. Webster packs are pop pack or blister packs which are filled with daily tablets and what time you should have them. Example: Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun. Breakfast Lunch Dinner Bedtime. I hope this explains it. Danny
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Danny and Amanda Webster packs are great and a Godsend for forgetful people on lots of medications. I have my own version - it is a little pill box I picked up somewhere that has three compartments in it. My first-thing-in-the-morning routine is: put the kettle on; fill my pill box. Six tablets in the bottom one - breakfast. One on the middle one - dinner. Three in the top one - bedtime. Fortunately I don't have to take any at lunchtime. By the time I've done that, the kettle has boiled and I can make the cup of tea to wash down the first lot. Routine is a wonderful thing. Cheers Sailor Prevention is, as in other aspects of seamanship, better than cure. Sir Robin Knox-Johnston

0 Kudos
AmandaC
Contributor

Fortunately for me I only have 1 lot of medication other than viatmins, alhtough my medication varies form day to day so I have a Monday-Friday pill box which is fantastic. Thanks for that 🙂
0 Kudos
AmandaC
Contributor

Sailor I to have a pill box my oroxine medication changes form day to day and I am soooo forgetful, I like to think its baby brain...really I have been terrible since having my thyroid removed. My hormones are always out, as you cna imagine I am a nightmare to live with :) Mmmm love the sound of a cupa tea, I'm off to enjoy one as we speak.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.